How to recover lost/missing system tray icon? [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question bickoo - Last answered on Jul 19, 2017 at 08:43 AM by Ramya
Hello,pals!
here's the situation, after having installed nero 8, when I restarted my system, I found some of my system tray icons had gone missing. I dont know what went wrong coz the installation had been successful & its been running fine. is there anyone who can help me get my icons back Pleeeeeeeeeeez!
Helpful
+1366
plus moins
1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
3. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify.
4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
9. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

this should work, did for me!
Was this answer helpful?  
mcspankey- Oct 9, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Thanks
Kony- Oct 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM
It worked, thanks a lot, man...You helped me...
streetsweeper98- Oct 12, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Works great, though I don't why Windows 7 makes it so complicated getting back the volume icon!
karmille- Apr 30, 2017 at 07:15 AM
Thank you Kristen!
Even eight years after, it is still very useful :-)
Ramya- Jul 19, 2017 at 08:43 AM
Thanks a lot, Kristen!
Helpful
+97
plus moins
Restarting Explorer worked for me... Open a DOS box and issue the following commands:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
explorer.exe
Helpful
+20
plus moins
Thank you geeks of internet land!! You guys rock! The explorer.exe worked perfectly!
Helpful
+15
plus moins
I NOT ONLY LOST MY PRINTER ICON BUT ALSO MY COMCAST HOME PAGE... CAN YOU HELP ME? I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A WAY TO FIND OUT.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Helpful
+12
plus moins
Use the microsoft fixit prog:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011

Just run it and restart your computer.
Helpful
+11
plus moins
I guess I have an easy way to bring back the nod32 icon in the system tray. Simply open your task manager, find 'egui.exe', kill the process, then start it again - for instance running 'egui.exe' from the eset nod32 installation folder.
sumans4324- Mar 29, 2010 at 07:17 AM
perfect,works fine
T.Q. soooooooooo much
Helpful
+9
plus moins
Yeah removing items from the reg and restarting explorer.exe worked when nothing else would thx. :)
Helpful
+9
plus moins
I spoke too soon. The fix worked, but then when I restarted my computer, they went away again and the keys reappeared in my registry. My husband has the same exact computer and doesn't have this problem and he does have the keys in his registry. Can you help further? Thanks.
kristen- Sep 1, 2009 at 07:46 PM
I have restarted my computer many times & the keys have never disappeared after that... I'm not sure what you could do, considering that hasn't happened to me. Sorry.
zorak- Mar 30, 2010 at 08:41 PM
I lost my icons again when I restarted too
Helpful
+5
plus moins
I have an error on my Nod32 indicating "error communicating with kernels" and can't get to on it too. Please advise.
Thanks.
Helpful
+5
plus moins
I have an error on Nod32 indicating 'error communicating kernels' and I don't seem to on the Nod32 virus on. Please advice.
Thanks.
Helpful
+4
plus moins
i can see what it is thats wrong straight away from your message delete service pack 3 and setyour update settings so it dont install again and you will be fine as service pack 3 for xp conflicts with a lot of things it is not nero 8 I have nero 9 on mine and its fine but when I installed service pack 3 for xp I got conflict with other proggrammes and I sussed it out to be se4rvice pack 3 causing the prob
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Unfortunately this solution did not work for me... As well as all other solutions. My system is Windows XP Service Pack 2. The tray icons of "Sygate Personal Firewall" and "NOD32 Antivirus" are no longer available in the System Tray. These tray icons are very important as they are providing additional functionality to the program which is running in the background mode. I believe the Windows Explorer process is being spawned too late, so it is not able to receive the System Tray notifications from SMC.EXE ("Sygate Personal Firewall" process) and EKRN.EXE ("NOD32 Antivirus" process).

I will try to play with the order the Windows System processes are being launched at startup.

Probably we need to postpone the launching of SMC.EXE and EKRN.EXE: the Windows Explorer process (EXPLORER.EXE) needs to be up and running before the above processes are spawned...

But now it appears that EXPLORER.EXE is not ready to receive System Tray notifications from SMC.EXE and EKRN.EXE.

http://windowsitpro.com/...
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Thanks so much! I have been looking for an answer for weeks!
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Does deleting the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream affects how our laptops/computers work?
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Run command disapered from my computor,window xp service pack 3. How can get back it
Helpful
+3
plus moins
Had the same problem after updating on or around xmas... It's all malware dude. I tried all the internet gimmicks - None worked. Solution was simple: Scan your computer with an antivirus which support spyware, spam, rootkit etc.. (i used AVG security Center); then use (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) - it found about 30 malware on my machine. Erase malware found... Restart your computer!!! bang bang - my updates worked again... Note: Keep a working antivirus/spyware/spamware software which is updated regularly... WORKS
Helpful
+3
plus moins
No problem everyone! Glad to have helped.. & Good luck!
Helpful
+2
plus moins
hello,

well have you tried to see if the programs are present on your pc?

i dont think that nero8 caused this problem on your machine. but if you think that it is the cause of it then just try to do a system restore just before you installed nero8.
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Found the solution!!!!!!!!!! go here http://www.ask.com/bar?q=missing+programs+...com%2Fnode%2F16 and try the The Ostuni Workaround it works the only difference I found is that when you initiate a Plug & Play action the buble that normaly comes up doesnt anymore but it still works...........

Regards,
Helpful
+2
plus moins
thanks for the help :D
1 2 Next

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?