How to recover lost/missing system tray icon? [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,pals!
here's the situation, after having installed nero 8, when I restarted my system, I found some of my system tray icons had gone missing. I dont know what went wrong coz the installation had been successful & its been running fine. is there anyone who can help me get my icons back Pleeeeeeeeeeez!
See more 

5 replies

Best answer
approved by Jean-François Pillou on Nov 28, 2018
Thank you
  • 1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
  • 2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in
    regedit
    and hit OK.
  • 3. Navigate to the key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
  • 4. Delete the values named
    IconStreams
    and
    PastIconsStream
  • 5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
  • 6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
  • 7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
  • 8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
  • 9. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

This should work, did for me!

Say "Thank you" 1390

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 4277 users have said thank you to us this month

Thank you Kristen!
Even eight years after, it is still very useful :-)
Thanks a lot, Kristen!
Thank you, Kristen. This tip is still useful in late 2017. I have used it on Windows 7 three or four times in the last few months.
cdngirleh
Registration date
Wednesday January 3, 2018
Last seen
January 3, 2018
-
This worked for me in 2018 on Windows 7! Thank you so much!
Thank you
Restarting Explorer worked for me... Open a DOS box and issue the following commands:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
explorer.exe
Thank you
Use the microsoft fixit prog:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011

Just run it and restart your computer.
Thank you
I guess I have an easy way to bring back the nod32 icon in the system tray. Simply open your task manager, find 'egui.exe', kill the process, then start it again - for instance running 'egui.exe' from the eset nod32 installation folder.
perfect,works fine
T.Q. soooooooooo much
Thank you
I had this problem, too. After trying so many of the different (and even somewhat complex) solutions to no avail, I found my solution and it was so simple.
When I would right-click on the taskbar and click 'properties', the volume and system icons were greyed out so I couldn't click on them. To fix this, I simply right-clicked in the taskbar area, and unclicked 'lock taskbar'. Then, I was able to go to 'properties' and the volume and system icons were no longer grey so I could click on them.
I'm not sure why they disappeared in the first place, but hopefully this will also work for some of you.