Cant find activation key

Closed
debbie - Apr 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM
i purchased the personal security program, but it keeps asks for an activation key...what is that and where do i find it?

Related:

3 responses

gadow21 Posts 13 Registration date Wednesday April 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 29, 2010 3
Apr 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM
That is basically a key or a random set of numbers and letters that says to the software that you are the right owner of this software. You should have received it when you either downloaded it or bought it from the company. Most keys are on the CD cover of the product that you are installing, or in an email that the company sends you after purchasing their product.

If you dont have one, and cant find it anywhere, you will have to contact the company to see where it is at, or where it should be. They can also give you another one if it wasnt supplied to you. But most of all you need this key in order to use the software.
gadow21 Posts 13 Registration date Wednesday April 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 29, 2010 3
Apr 29, 2010 at 08:45 AM
Im sorry Debbie, but Ambucias is kinda right. Personal Security is a virus, but the instructions of removing it is NOT even close. If you follow his instructions, not only will it not do anything, but there is a possiblity that it might even infect your PC more.

Just a side note, I work as a computer tech for a large corporation, and I have seen this virus / malware package many times, and I have always been able to remove it by following the instructions listed below.

Follow these instructions to get rid of Personal Security:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-personal-security

The instructions are very detailed, and will remove this program for sure! If you are intimated but these instructions, you can try the following first to see if you can get rid of the virus.

1) Reboot your machine, and AS SOON as your desktop picture comes up, right click on the clock in the lower right hand corner and hit task manager. If its greyed out, just go on to the next step but this will be alot easier.

2) Click on the processes tab, highlight and then end the following process: psecurity.exe or personalsecurity.exe or anything that looks simular to that.

3) Go to the Control Panel, Internet Properties, and when that window opens go to the connections tab and click on LAN Settings button.

4) Make sure that there is NOT a check mark in the Use a proxy server... and then click on OK, and OK again.

5) Now open up an internet window and go to www.google.com. Once at Google, type in 'download malwarebytes free', and click on the first one. Or you can just type in this website and directly go to it www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

6) Download the Free version, and install it when its finished downloading. When the install is complete, make sure that the Update MalwareBytes, and the Start MalwareBytes check box IS checked. After it has finished updating you can start the program.

7) Double click on the Malware Bytes icon on your desktop, and go the Update tab. Click on check for updates. It should tell you that you have the latest version. When that happens, click on the first tab labeled Scanner, and click on Perform Full scan, and then click scan.

8) Let Malware Bytes scan your computer til its finished. Dont worry, Malware Bytes is a safe applicaiton that wont further infect your computer. When its finished go ahead and click on Show Results, and REMOVE EVERYTHING it found.

9) Most likely, Malware Bytes will want to reboot your machine in order to remove Personal Security, ALLOW it to do that. After the reboot, open Malware Bytes back up, and click on the Quarantine tab, and delete everything that is listed.

If you have any questions regarding this, you can contact me through here. I will check it regularly, and will help you remove this nasty virus.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Gadow21,

With all due respect, I suggest, before giving a response that a little research is required, this contrary to your first response to Debbie.

For your information, not all of the Rogue Trojan Horse require the same treatment for there is:

Personal Antivirus
Personal Security
Vista Security
Total Security
Personal Internet Security
Personal Security Center

and that is to just to name a few.

In Debbie's case, she already installed the application, hence the way to remove it is the one I prescribed. The effectiveness had been proven in this case: http://ccm.net/forum/affich-213724-personal-security-is-a-b.

Also, again with all due respect, Malwarebyte is an effective tool, which sometimes must be renamed before installation. Since you are an appreciated member in the commuity, should you refer Malwarebyte to someone, we would appreciate if you would used the Kioskea link:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Apr 29, 2010 at 06:04 AM
Hello Debbie

Sorry but you have been had. Personal Security is a rogue trojan horse, a scam.

If you gave your credit card number, I would immediately call the bank and cancel the transaction and the card before these crooks take out all of your money.

Next get rid of the Trojan:

Open My computer, choose Disk C;
2. Find Program Files=>Common Files=>PSecurityUninstall=>Uninstall
3. Run the file Uninstall.lnk

Let me know, please!