Disk formating

Closed
jymo - Sep 7, 2010 at 04:06 AM
mancy Posts 124 Registration date Monday July 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2016 - Sep 7, 2010 at 05:11 AM
Hello,

i have tried to format my 8gb flash disk using dos,slow and quick formats and it displays that,the disk is write protected.what should i do?please help!
Related:

1 response

mancy Posts 124 Registration date Monday July 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2016 94
Sep 7, 2010 at 05:11 AM
Boot your computer into safe mode. To do this, restart your computer. While it is rebooting, continually press the F8 key until a menu pops up. From that menu, select "Safe Mode."
Open Windows Explorer. To do this, wait for your computer to finish starting in Safe Mode. From the desktop, press the windows key and "E" simultaneously.
Right-click on the disk you're attempting to format. Select the "Format" option from the pop-up menu.
If the steps above do not work, try editing the registry directly. Select START (bottom left of your screen) and RUN to open the run dialog box. Type "regedit" (without quotes) into the dialog box that appears, and press enter.
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. Change the value for the key "WriteProtect" to 0.
For formatting a USB drive that is write-protected, there is a software tool that can help. If you can't format your write-protected drive with the steps outlined above, try downloading and running the free HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool