Connecting old hdd to a newer system

Closed
Almonika Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 4, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 4, 2010 - Oct 4, 2010 at 05:05 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Oct 4, 2010 at 08:16 AM
Hello everyone. I have a problem/question/ about connecting my old 500gb ide drive to my new pc. So the new pc has a sata 2 drive which is also 500gb and it's the primary/os drive. As from what i remember with ide drives , they had masters and slaves. Since now i have only one ide and it's not the os hdd , so i have to put it as slave no matter what? Or i don't need to do that? Also i'm confused where to plug the ide hdd? I know that the blue end of the ide wire goes into the motherboard an the black , and the grey one? Also my old pc which has the ide drive is using the old ide wires which are bigger. I got a new ide wire with the new pc which is newer and smaller. So with all of this i'm really confused.

As soon as possible i will switch to sata and forget about the ide thing , but for now i need some really good help. Please help me out. I'm really confused.
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 4, 2010 at 08:16 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

Look for the IDE connector on your motherboard. I will be having 40pins. There

will be a text "IDE" at the side of the connector.

Click on the below image to see how the IDE looks liks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATA_on_mainboard.jpg

Most probably you can find it near the RAM slots section or near the SATA

connectors. Just take a look at your motherboard for that connector.

If you don't have any IDE connector on your motherboard then you have to use

the converter to connect to your new PC. You can use the IDE to SATA converter

to connect the IDE hard drive to the SATA connector or IDE to USB connector to

connect the IDE hard drive to your USB port. The smaller wire which you are

mentioning it may be the SATA data cable and it is different from the IDE cable.

Good Luck.