Help choosing laptop that will meet my needs

Closed
kellyb - Dec 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Hello;
i am computer retarded :)
i need to buy a lap top that will run a few programs such as M.S WORD ,adobe reader .yada yada-not alot of stuff but a few programs.Other than that all i do on a computer is emails & research stuff.I dont understand the difference between 1 GB and 2GB ..will a Notebook do as well as a laptop? I dont want to underspend and realize i messed up but i certainly cant afford to overspend ..any help is greatly appreciated
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM
In general a "notebook" and a "laptop" are just different names for the same type of computer. Now "netbook" is a new ultra-small (2 to 3 pounds) type of computer. A small 8 to 10 inch screen and limited speed/power computer meant mostly for email use for a person who wants to "stay connected". Not something you would type your term paper on. But, you might take notes in class on such a computer.

You are stuck with Windows Vista unless you buy a Mac. You should bypass any Vista Basic PC and only consider the Premium version. Also the 64 bit version Vista might have problems with printers and scanners. Vista NEEDS 2 or 3 GB of memory to perform well.

I suggest you read this; https://www.lifewire.com/best-laptops-under-500-4043278