Intel Pentium D running Windows 7 64-bit slow

Closed
Aud21 Posts 37 Registration date Tuesday March 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2012 - Jul 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM
Aud21 Posts 37 Registration date Tuesday March 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2012 - Jul 12, 2011 at 02:12 PM
Hello,

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit. I do not know if its me but I notice that my computer is slower than when i was running with 32-bit. I think it is my processor, It is an Intel Pentium D 3.4GHz which is 5 years old. I have never got problems with it and I changed the thermal paste in February. The average temperature is about 70-75 degrees Celcius which is about 158-167 degrees Fahrenheit. I know that it is HOT but after a long research i discovered that The Pentium D has a very High heat. Also i noticed that the CPU Usage is from 40%-60% and i'm wondering if it is normal .

Thanks for helping me resolving this..
Regards, Michael

Processor Detailed Configuration:
Threads: 2
FSB Speed: 800MHz
FSB Parity : No
Max TDP: 95W

Advanced Technologies:
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology: No
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x): No
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d): No
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology: No
AES New Instructions: No
Intel® 64: Yes
Idle States: Yes
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology : Yes
Intel® Demand Based Switching: No
Thermal Monitoring Technologies: No
Related:

2 responses

Aud21 Posts 37 Registration date Tuesday March 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2012 1
Jul 12, 2011 at 02:11 PM
Hi, Thanks for your reply...I did what you said in the first paragraph and here is the print screen of Task Manager + msconfig

http://hosting.sanlrpg.net/uploads/kioskea1.jpg

The average cpu usage is 30-40 when it is idle where as on 32 bit i think it was sometimes going to 0 then to 13 then 0 again. On my other computer it gets down to 7 then to 22 then back to 7 ... I use to play GTA San andreas with NO lag. I just played it...and i was stunned seeing that the cpu usage was 80-100 .. when an AMD Phenom X2 555 which is for my friend only uses 45%-50% of CPU usage running Left 4 Dead 1. I know its a big difference between AMD Phenom and Intel Pentium D but for GTA San andreas its alot of CPU Usage. More over there are not too many processes launched at startup ; only the antivirus and some other softwares that i really need, so in total : 7 .

Thank you for helping me
Aud21 Posts 37 Registration date Tuesday March 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2012 1
Jul 12, 2011 at 02:12 PM
The image link is not valid the valid one is : http://hosting.sanlrp.net/uploads/kioskea1.jpg
GM Madman Posts 85 Registration date Friday June 10, 2011 Status Member Last seen April 28, 2012 2
Jul 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Click on start button . In the search box write msconfig and hit enter . You will get the system configuration window. Click on the startup tab thereto , and notice how many programs are starting up with windows. Reduce the burden . If you are not sure what are entries to be disabled, post a screenshot of that window here, somebody will tell you what to do .

OR

If the client machine a domain member. Getting network stored profile can often take longer than using cached profile. Also domain group policy objects or even local group policy objects can impact logon time there is one in particular called "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon found in the local group policy management editor (gpedit.msc) here.
Local Computer Policy->Computer Configurtion->Administrative Templates->System->Logon
Also if you are certain the your network has an end to end gigabit solution in place including cat6 cabling, consider setting the speed and duplex of your card manually to 1000 full, just to see if there is an issue with autonegotiation.