Files and Desktop Icons Dissapear

Closed
beginner - Feb 22, 2012 at 02:27 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 23, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Hello,

Before anything I want to inform that I'm not a computer expert. I've seen posts similar to this and I still don't know how to solve it. My problem is I cannot see any desktop icons and files are all empty. The only thing on desktop is recycle bin and computer. When I click start, empty, thee's all program tab but when I open the folder, empty. However my hard disk still shows the MB used as normal, but when I click, nothing. I'm using norton antivirus, which deteced and deleted a "misleading application" but the problem is still there. I downloaded malwarebytes and it detected 2 "PUM.Hijack.StartMenu" but the problem is still there. Please help me!!!

Related:

9 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 22, 2012 at 03:55 PM
I am analysing, please stand-by as it may take me 30 minutes to an hour.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Feb 22, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Dear Nabeel,

Good news! You system is virus free. However I see many things which have been changed with your desktop and I don't know why exactly at this point.

What I suggest is that you restore your system to a point where you know before the problem occured and let me know the results. You may lose a fews bits of data but it's worth it.

Here is how:

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

1.Open System Restore by clicking the Start button .

2. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

Good luck
Feb 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Nabeel,

If that is the case, system restore is not the best options.

If it's just a matter of desktop icons which are no less then shorcuts to the actual programs, you can create new ones.

Unfortunately, I am not that versed with Win 7. I know that with other Window versions, what must be done, is click on start, all programs, click right on the program and create a short cut.

Microsoft, all after XP has complicated things. I still would like to know the reason why you lost all of your desktop.

You have downloaded from UTorrent, please be very carefull, it's a virus nest, especially .exe files.

I also wish to tell you that your Windows is in need of an update.

Good luck

P.S. When ever you get a chance, get rid of Norton. Go for Kaspersky or better still F-Secure. I am talking from experience.
Thank you very much. I did all and this is the txt file.

http://speedy.sh/WDE6f/ZHPDiag.txt

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
ok thanks
Hi, I just did some reading and selected in the folder options, "show hidden files, folders and drives" and i can see all my files however some of the desktop icons are still not there. Just want to consider other options than restoring because my restore point is very old and i bought some softwares which i don't want to lose. Is there any other way ?
Thank you very much for your advice. I will change my antivirus for sure. I did some more research and ran "unhider" and I can see all of my files already... Only things that are still missing are some desktop icons and at start/all programs, it only shows the folders but when clicked showed empty
Feb 23, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Check to see if any systems files are corrupted or missing such as dll's

This action will repair them if necessary:

1. Click on start and then search.

2. Type cmd and click on run as administrator.

3. Type in SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter

The process might take a while to complete once it's complete it produces a log with information where it repaired the corruption or not.
Feb 22, 2012 at 04:25 AM
PUM stands for "potentially unwanted modification

To help you and precribe a remedy, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a system log.

1. Boot in safemode with networking.

2. Open this link and download ZHPDiag2 :

https://www.zebulon.fr/telechargements/securite/systeme/zhpdiag.html

(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message. Also clicking on the "hardhat" icon allows to change the language.)

3. Save the file on your Desktop.

4. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

the tool creates three icons ZHPDiag, MRB, and ZHPFix (If necessary,we will use ZHPFix at the next step).

5. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

6. Click on the Magnifying glass and run the analysys.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

7. Close ZHPDiag.

6. To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

7. Click on Parcourir and search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\Program Files\ZHPDiag).

8. Select the file ZHPDiag.txt.

9. Click on "upload »

10. Copy the url and post it here

Best regards