External Hard drive showing folders not files

Closed
Lovemachine Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2012 - Oct 2, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 2, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Hello,

For some time now i have not been able to access the files on my external hardrive. I plug it into the computer it auto runs... Than nothing. I click on folders that would have more than 500 gb in them but nothing appears except the words "This folder in empty." The strand thing is thou when i go to my computer it says under my hardrive 791 gb free of 1.81 tb. I think this means the files are still on the drive but that I cannot access them for some unknown reason? I tried the solotion in a different question of using AutoRunExterminator than running attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.* (my drive being "F") But when I do so I am displayed with the message listing all of my folders

Unable to change attribute - F:\ Video
Access Denied - F:\ System Volume Information

Any thoughts? Any and all help is greatly appreciated I really just want to save my files and buy a new drive.

Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 2, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Hello,

It seems to me that your machine was infected by a usb virus.

There is a special tool called USBFix which can desinfect and vaccinate the drive against future infection. The download site as well as the tool are in French but I can give you instructions to download and use.

If you are interested let me know.

Regards