Laptop won't boot after bios upgrade

Solved/Closed
Carolinaboy Posts 4 Registration date Friday February 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 27, 2009 - Feb 28, 2009 at 03:48 AM
 Erfan3600 - Apr 6, 2018 at 04:34 AM
I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 series computer. While performing the HP Health Check, it was recommended that I upgrade the existing bios. After downloading, the computer shutdown but upon reboot, computer would not boot up. Instead, I received one long beep and two short beeps. The computer worked fine before bios upgrade. Is there a way to return to the default bios settings on this computer?
Related:

6 responses

I had exactly the same problem last night. HP's 'Health Check' recommended that I flash the BIOS of our new HP Dv7-1175. Had the computer about 3 days, and was receiving some strange errors reporting unrecogized USB devices not recognized and a buggy USB driver. So, OK, Flash the BIOS.

Precisely the same thing occurred. The utility for flashing the BIOS ran, seemed to work, shut down the computer. Then nothing.

I restarted to a backlit screen, no POST or BOOT. Here's how I solved the problem (though I can't tell you why it worked, other than it obviously reset the CMOS).

1) Turned off the computer

2) Removed Battery and disconnected power cord.

3) Waited, pensively, for 5ish minutes (read several places to wait for 20 minutes; I didn't)

4) Plugged the power cord back in (I did NOT reinsert the battery)

5) Holding down the Insert/Scroll button, I held the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Nothing happened until I released the power button. When I released the power button (still holding the Insert/Scroll button depressed), the computer came up and Windows booted. Could not, at that point, get ESC pressed; wouldn't let me into the BIOS.

6) Restarted and prayed, came up normally; opened the BIOS by hitting ESC at the proper time, reset to defaults (just to be sure).

The computer has seemed to work operate normally since, though for the life of me, I can't tell you why this worked. I was, for the record, trying to press the Insert button, so if yours has these separated-- as my Toshiba does-- then I'd start with that.

Hope this helps someone.
Hey Shantyhag,

Thanks for your solution...

It worked for me too ...
Hi

I have an HP Pavilion dv5 1080e Notebook. I tried to install Windows 7 Rc 1 yesterday on my laptop. After Windows installed, the laptop rebooted and stopped working.

When I press the power button, I get the black screen with the HP logo but nothing else happens. It just hangs. Seems like my Bios is not booting.

Can anyone help please. I did try the steps which Shantyhag suggested but still teh same problem, I could be doing something wrong or just doing it the wrong way.

Please help.