Laptop won't boot after bios upgrade [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Carolinaboy 4Posts Friday February 27, 2009Registration date November 27, 2009 Last seen - Last answered on Aug 28, 2017 at 03:50 AM by MoRfa
I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 series computer. While performing the HP Health Check, it was recommended that I upgrade the existing bios. After downloading, the computer shutdown but upon reboot, computer would not boot up. Instead, I received one long beep and two short beeps. The computer worked fine before bios upgrade. Is there a way to return to the default bios settings on this computer?
Helpful
+61
plus moins
I had exactly the same problem last night. HP's 'Health Check' recommended that I flash the BIOS of our new HP Dv7-1175. Had the computer about 3 days, and was receiving some strange errors reporting unrecogized USB devices not recognized and a buggy USB driver. So, OK, Flash the BIOS.

Precisely the same thing occurred. The utility for flashing the BIOS ran, seemed to work, shut down the computer. Then nothing.

I restarted to a backlit screen, no POST or BOOT. Here's how I solved the problem (though I can't tell you why it worked, other than it obviously reset the CMOS).

1) Turned off the computer

2) Removed Battery and disconnected power cord.

3) Waited, pensively, for 5ish minutes (read several places to wait for 20 minutes; I didn't)

4) Plugged the power cord back in (I did NOT reinsert the battery)

5) Holding down the Insert/Scroll button, I held the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Nothing happened until I released the power button. When I released the power button (still holding the Insert/Scroll button depressed), the computer came up and Windows booted. Could not, at that point, get ESC pressed; wouldn't let me into the BIOS.

6) Restarted and prayed, came up normally; opened the BIOS by hitting ESC at the proper time, reset to defaults (just to be sure).

The computer has seemed to work operate normally since, though for the life of me, I can't tell you why this worked. I was, for the record, trying to press the Insert button, so if yours has these separated-- as my Toshiba does-- then I'd start with that.

Hope this helps someone.
Was this answer helpful?  
Chay- Nov 14, 2015 at 12:39 AM
Thanks a lot it worked for me, HP G42 Notebook.
hpdv7- Feb 1, 2016 at 04:55 AM
download System BIOS Update hp dv7
MaCDizzle- Feb 2, 2016 at 02:28 PM
Sounds like the praying worked, nothing else you were doing did... ;-)
culyquocdoanh- Mar 8, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Thank you
MoRfa- Aug 28, 2017 at 03:50 AM
very niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Helpful
+9
plus moins
I think you should remove the CMOS battery and plug it again after some minutes then try to reboot your pc
sohit- Jun 29, 2010 at 05:50 AM
pls. enter in setup using f10 or any other designated key, go to system configuration and disable sata native support. it will surely solve the problem

Email Id removed for security
walayat- Jan 31, 2014 at 02:53 PM
it worked for me when I chnged the sata to compatibilty mode thanx a lot
aw- Nov 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM
HP Pavilion Desktop x64 (Win7): When I updated the bios, it did show as completed but when I restarted the computer, it did not boot. So I removed the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes, put it back in, booted into the bios and reset the time and date. My drive was set up originally for AHCI but after the bios update and removing the CMOS battery, it was showing as RAID. I changed it back to AHCI. Rebooted the computer successfully to Windows. I checked the bios date and it was still the original bios. I am not sure if the updated bios was removed after removing the CMOS battery but the original bios was showing.
Melissa- Dec 8, 2015 at 01:14 AM
You all had me panicked. Mine restarted, thank god
Helpful
+6
plus moins
to recovery BIOS Phenix in Pavilion notebook You need:
- FDD Disk (You must do this with Crisi Disk program with Bios.wph to Your laptop)
- Floppy on USB
- turn on notebook with keys Windows and B to start in ZOMBIE MODE.
- Bios.WPH to your laptop You must get from spxxxx.exe file from HP site
- Bios.WPH file You can uncompressed from spxxxx.exe by the 7-ZIP program.

Oryginally spxxxx.exe is packed WinFlash for windows with bios.wph.

originally procedure:
Remove your your battery (or battery and hard disk).

You should force the system to boot from either the FLOPPY, CDROM or a FlashDrive.

Download and unzip B1800 crisis recovery disk and be sure you replace the provided bios (BIOS.WPH) file with your laptop most current bios file (Phoenix only). Note that you should first extract from the BIOS updater exe tool the BIOS ROM, then rename your ROM as BIOS.WPH.

Use crisdisk tool to create a bootable diskette and a bootable floppy with the files phlash.exe, minidos.sys and (your bios file) bios.wph will be created for you

Held Win+B key (other report the key combination being Fn+B)

plug in AC adaptor

Push the power button, with the two other buttons still down.
If the power led start, release the `Fn'and `B' button.
If you're lucky, you'll hear lots of beeps.... Your computer will reset itself and start in Windows!! can take 5 to 10 minutes so be patient.

Powered on, it did some beeping then I saw the light access of my flash drive, when the light stop I released win+b, it did some beeping then the cpu fan quick in (I knew then I was in good shape because it's the sound it make when the bios is flashing) then it stop and more beeping for 30 secs then it powered itself off .. done!

If the booting doesn't succeed, try a different timing on releasing the `Fn' and `B' button.

good luck
tom- Aug 10, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Thanks a Million for that piece of advice. Have a quite noisy laptop with Intel i7-3820 processor. Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from them I reduced the Core Current Limit in order to make the CPU run with less power consumption, hence slowing down the cooling fan (kind of 'under clocking' if you will). However, at first attempt I set the core current limit too low so that the laptop didn't even start! Thanks to that trick I could get the laptop to boot up and increase the core current limit to about 80% of the recommended value (135A - no mistake!) and it all working fine again. Thanks again :-)
Thankful techy- Aug 24, 2015 at 05:33 PM
I tried to fix for over 30 minutes. It ended up that all I had to do on my pavilion m6 was to remove the battery and hard drive at the same time. Then attempted to reboot and it finished flashing bios like it was supposed to do. After it successfully flashed the bios I plugged everything back in and works perfect again! Thanks for everybody's input.
Gabe- Mar 10, 2016 at 08:34 PM
Removing the battery and HDD to let it finish the flashing worked for me. Thanks a lot.
Helpful
+3
plus moins
I hade same problame on Lenovo z50-75 (win8.1)

But I solved it with OS Boot mode change from UEFI to Legacy mod.
Bios updater changed this mod to uefi with out any reason.
Mike- Sep 22, 2015 at 03:01 PM
I almost open my laptop just to find the reset button on the bios battery, and then I searching for answer you just need to change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy.. Thanks for everyone! Lenovo Z50-75
Kunal- Sep 27, 2015 at 04:04 AM
Thanks a ton! This worked for me as well. I have Lenovo Z580.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Hi all!
I have a similar problem. The HP installation recommended me to upgrade the BIOS. I installed the new version. when it rebooted, the BIOS Update finished and the machine reboot. Is in a looping.
In addition, before a reboot, the machine made 8 beeps.

what could I do?

Please help me.
Thanks
Helpful
+0
plus moins
i have go this problame too
but how I find the solution is
first
1. make a bootable windows on flash disk
2.power off your computer and power on simply laves it .it will start from the bootable flash after it starts shutedown the computer and star again.
3.when it start goto bios set up and chaneg secure boot or legacy boot enabel or desable and save it and exit
4.finally start your computer without the bootable flash .it Will starts

and tell me weather this solution is solved your problam or not pls

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?