Explorer.exe not found no desktop icons or start menu .

Solved/Closed
kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015 - Feb 21, 2015 at 08:38 PM
kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015 - Feb 23, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Hello,

Im having troubles with my lenovo thinkpad r series I dont have any desktop icons nor a startcmenu just a desktop back ground . I can start task manager and do stuff but when I try to run explorer.exe its not found and taskmgr.exe not found. The message says (the ordinal 173 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll.) Help me out please.Thanks
Related:

2 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 21, 2015 at 09:15 PM
This might be easier in safe mode, but you might be able to do it in Normal mode as well.

You say you can run Task Manager. If you can, run a command prompt (I think its File > Run ... and then type
cmd
) .

When the Command Prompt box opens type
sfc /scannow
at the prompt. After some time the scan will finish and report if any issues have been found.

Restart your computer and run a full virus check as soon as you can. Also run a disk check to make sure your drive is not damaged. Personally I would not trust this drive if no viruses are found. Back up all your importand data and replace the drive if you can.

Let me know how you get on.

Good Luck.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015
Feb 21, 2015 at 09:28 PM
I did this but im stuck on verifying windows file or something like that . I have taken a picture of what its doing, So is there a next step or pitch the laptop in the trash? Its literally on my last nerve I cannot get this figured out. Here this picture http://tinypic.com/images/goodbye.jpg
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015
Feb 22, 2015 at 01:06 AM
Cant see this pic on the PC Im on due to local restrictions. I will look when I get home.

This process can take an awful long time!

I'll get back to you when I get back home.
kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015
Feb 22, 2015 at 01:14 AM
Ok thank you so much .
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > kameronj Posts 10 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2015
Feb 22, 2015 at 03:05 AM
Ok, Had a look.

This is what I would expect, but in the 13 minutes or so that you had to get this going between my initial post and when you replied I would have expected some movement on the progress bar.

How long had this really been running? Did you leave it to run for longer? Did the progress bar move at all?

Perhaps you need to try it in safe mode? Also stopping all the programs that run at startup might help. (Try googling "clean boot windows {your version}" (what windows are you running by the way?))

Also did you look at the link I found below? That might also help with this issue.

Do you have data that you need to keep? - scrapping the laptop at this stage is a bit rash - there are other options ... like "System Restore" or reinstalling Windows (but again reinstalling is bit drastic at this stage).

Let me know how you get on. (but its time for bed now (Just finished a night shift))
Feb 22, 2015 at 07:02 PM
This is what I would expect, but in the 13 minutes or so that you had to get this going between my initial post and when you replied I would have expected some movement on the progress bar.

How long had this really been running? (I ran it for about 20 minutes and no sign of movement ) Did you leave it to run for longer?(yes I did still no movement) Did the progress bar move at all?(i tried to restart the scf /scannow today but now the cmd text says. Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files (The specific error code is 0×000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable ].

Perhaps you need to try it in safe mode? (I have logged on regularly and in safe mode all 3 options of safe mode also . Also stopping all the programs that run at startup might help.(Im not sure how to stop all programs at start up) (Try googling "clean boot windows {your version}" (I have downloaded a windows vista .iso file to reinstall windows but im not sure if I should do this just yet)(what windows are you running by the way?)) (The windows im running is windows vista basic is what the sticker says )

Also did you look at the link I found below? That might also help with this issue. (Yes I have looked at the link you provided and none of the methods work I tried them)

Do you have data that you need to keep? (There is nothing on the laptop I need )- scrapping the laptop at this stage is a bit rash - there are other options ... like "System Restore" or reinstalling Windows (but again reinstalling is bit drastic at this stage).( Im sorry for bugging you so much but I dont know much about computers and I dont want to spend alot of money fixing it.)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 21, 2015 at 09:18 PM