Explorer.exe not found no desktop icons or start menu . [Solved/Closed]

kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen - Feb 21, 2015 at 08:38 PM - Latest reply: kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen
- Feb 23, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Hello,

Im having troubles with my lenovo thinkpad r series I dont have any desktop icons nor a startcmenu just a desktop back ground . I can start task manager and do stuff but when I try to run explorer.exe its not found and taskmgr.exe not found. The message says (the ordinal 173 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll.) Help me out please.Thanks
See more 

12 replies

BrianGreen 973 Posts Saturday January 17, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus August 6, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2015 at 09:15 PM
Thank you
This might be easier in safe mode, but you might be able to do it in Normal mode as well.

You say you can run Task Manager. If you can, run a command prompt (I think its File > Run ... and then type
cmd
) .

When the Command Prompt box opens type
sfc /scannow
at the prompt. After some time the scan will finish and report if any issues have been found.

Restart your computer and run a full virus check as soon as you can. Also run a disk check to make sure your drive is not damaged. Personally I would not trust this drive if no viruses are found. Back up all your importand data and replace the drive if you can.

Let me know how you get on.

Good Luck.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen - Feb 22, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Microsoft windows xp proffesional is the windows
BrianGreen 973 Posts Saturday January 17, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus August 6, 2018 Last seen > kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen - Feb 23, 2015 at 06:36 AM
Firstly, dont worry about bugging me - its better you get sorted with this :^)

If you do plan on reinstalling, then Vista is better than XP, but be careful where you got the installer from. It might be riddled with viruses. Also your product key may not work with it.

You didnt say that it worked in safe mode, but if it did try this ...

- Press the [Alt] and [R] button at the same time to bring up the "Run" box and in the box type
msconfig
. after a short time a configuration box will appear. (you might need to agree at a warning as well before it comes up).
- Click on the "Startup" tab.
- untick all the items in there, making a note of those that might already be unticked.
- Press the "OK" button.
-restart the computer (it will tell you you need to restart to apply the changes ... sey yes).

Hopefully it works now - if it does run a full virus scan.

Let me know how you get on (we are not finished just yet)
kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen - Feb 23, 2015 at 03:55 PM
Well I got on the internet last night and started googling about the Iertutil.dll Problems and I came across a method I cant remember where I seen the method but it worked I think I did it through cmd . The method told me to uninstall windows 8 so I did that and it said restart my computer after I uninstalled it. After I rebooted my computer it went to the normal desktop and everything was back to normal, But now im having a problem with windows firewall . Everytime I try to connect to the internet it tells me to enable windows firewall but when I go to enable it a popup thing pops up and says (Windows firewall setting cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service) When I press yes another popup comes up and says (Windows cannot start the Windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service . Any help on this one and by the way thank you so much for helping me I appreciate it.
BrianGreen 973 Posts Saturday January 17, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus August 6, 2018 Last seen - Feb 23, 2015 at 06:05 PM
The method told me to uninstall windows 8 so I did that
- you told me earlier that ...
Microsoft windows xp proffesional is the windows

Its good you got it working

This new problem is sort of a different topic so should be a new thread, but it is so quick that I will deal with it here.

1 - In the run box type
services.msc
and press enter.
2 - scroll down the list on the right hand window and fine "Windows Firewall" and double click it.
3 - If the Satrtup type isnt already Automatic change it via the drop down box.
4 - Accept any warnings and restart your machine.

The firewall should now be enabled.

If it is still not working try this ...

In the Run box type
netsh winsock reset
and click ok. Restart your computer then check windows firewall again.

Good Luck, and thanks for posting your solution to your original problem.
kameronj 10 Posts Saturday February 21, 2015Registration date February 23, 2015 Last seen - Feb 23, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Thank you brian you are such a great help .
BrianGreen 973 Posts Saturday January 17, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus August 6, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2015 at 09:18 PM
Thank you
oooo - just found this thread as well ...

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-26568-no-dekstop-icons-no-start-menu-no-r-click