Ask a question Report

External Monitor to broken laptop screen HELP [Solved/Closed]

Joey - Latest answer on Dec 11, 2012 11:04AM
Hello,
I am having a problem. My laptop LCD screen broke and I don't have the money to replace it, but what I do have is a extra Monitor. I want to hook my laptop up to this monitor but I can't see what I am doing with the screen broken. I wanted to know if there was any buttons I could press to make it show up on the external monitor. I have a HP Pavilion dv9000. Please Help.
Read more 
Answer
+105
moins plus
When you hook up a laptop to an external monitor you have to press a few buttons in order to change the output from the internal monitor screen to an external monitor. To do this start u your laptop, and press and hold the function key which is the letters "fn" inside a box. Press and hold this with the corresponding F# key that has the monitor symbol, which may look like this " lOl " or some variation of that. This happened to my brother's old laptop, he broke the screen and I just hooked it up to an external monitor and it worked fine. It m ay not kick on right away with mine, what mine does is it starts up on the external screen then dispears when you log onto the computer, so what I do is I log on, I just type my password because once the log on screen kicks on it automatically puts the cursor in the password box, so I put in my password and I press the function key; "fn" and I press and hold it with F4 which is my external monitor key, then after a few seconds my external monitor kicks back on. Hope this helps!!

Deon- Jan 2, 2010 02:51PM
How do you get the external monitor to show your content before the login screen? I need to edit some things before it gets that far.
frog2468- Aug 5, 2010 01:21AM
it worked ;)
Sharjule- Nov 1, 2012 11:34AM
AWSOME!!!!! Thanks!!
Dubz509- Nov 12, 2012 12:14PM
or you can do it this way:

First, plug in a vga cord from laptop to different monitor. Next, turn on laptop. immediately hit the prompt (possibly f2 or f8 or f11, it should say briefly what key before the windows loading screen).
It should then take you to the option of safe mode, safe with command prompt, last known configuration that worked, etc. Select safe mode. The new video should be projected on the new monitor without holding any keys. I tried the "hold Fn and F# key" method and I was unsuccessful. Not all laptops offer this option. Programmers and tech support guys like Geek Squad do it my way.
Answer
+27
moins plus
Press the Fn button and one of the Function buttons on the top of the keyboard that have one or two Blocks on them

Answer
+26
moins plus
IF FN + F4 DONT WORK OR YOU CANT SEE YOUR SCREEN TO SELECT THE RIGHT OPTION DO THE FOLLOWING

1. Hold down the windows button and press 'p'.

That makes four options pop up side by side.

2. You would want to tap the right arrow key three times to get to the 'projector' option and press enter.

You should now be on both the laptop screen and TV

Answer
+24
moins plus
well i have the same problem and i can get it to come start up on the monitor but once i load desktop it shuts off the monitor donno what to do from there if you figure it out please email me

Answer
+22
moins plus
OMG thank you thank you thank you ! sooo much for the last 4 months we only had one computer because i broke the screen on my laptop and i googled it and this popped up !!! now it works the fn then F4 thing works Thank you so much

Answer
+10
moins plus
I had the same problem hooking my dell notebook up to my 42 inch plasma. My notebook screen was broken and every time i plugged the cable into the laptop, it would make a noise but the tv was still black. It worked before, but i couldn't get it to work again. All it took was pressing fn + f8. Hope this helps.

frog2468- Aug 5, 2010 01:19AM
Answer
+8
moins plus
My son's laptop monitor stayed black and the computer would try to boot and then shut off and restart and this was while it was plugged in. So, I took the battery out, plugged it in and the monitor works perfectly. I put the battery back in, plugged it in to the electric and the same problem, black screen. Took the battery back out, plugged in, monitor working. the battery is interfering, I suspect it needs replaced.

Answer
+7
moins plus
thanks so much the Fn+F4 works if wait a little while for it to load thanks. -_- -_-

Answer
+6
moins plus
Answer
+5
moins plus
YES FN +F4 WILL WORK (NOT fUNCTION + f5) IN SAFE MODE HELP - SAFE MODE WILL ALWAYS WORK) DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH INDIA SUPPORT THEY WILL TELL YOU TO REPLACE THE SCREEN. I had the same problem.

Cheers.

Answer
+5
moins plus
if you press fn f4 it should work. it worked for me

Answer
+4
moins plus
hit the fn key and f4 or f5 and mine works fine. sometimes you may have to reboot- if it has a hdmi hookup it detects the hookup most of the time. when using the dvi or vga i have to unhook and reboot until I can get into the control panel and change the display. you can also usually boot up in safe mode.

good luck

Answer
+2
moins plus
I had same problem.I had a bit of a view on my screen and what i did is connect the lead to my tv or monitor turn the computer on and just guess where my icon was to log in. I logged in on the main screen what view
I had I right clicked on the d pad and I could see some options click on nvidia display and you get more options then click on the one that says screen options then you should see laptop display and what eva your lead is connected to mine is a samsung. Click on that and it should display an icon saying this setting will save in 15 seconds then every time you turn your laptop on it will come on the monitor.

mh- Dec 6, 2012 10:10AM
sounds like your inverter board,its a cheap and easy fix.if the screen is black but you can see that the is pictures threw the darkness,as if the light is off.than more than likely its the inverter.
This document entitled « External Monitor to broken laptop screen HELP » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.