External monitor broken laptop during boot

Closed
virshu - Mar 21, 2010 at 05:49 PM
 Warez - Feb 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM
There is a similar thread (for some reason on webmastering forum):
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-81726-external-monitor-to-broken-laptop-screen

Essentially, I have a laptop with a broken screen, and I want to convert it to a Linux headless server box. The problem is that I can't make the external monitor come up during bot up (therefore, I can't get into BIOS to switch booting sequence to start from DVD).

Any ideas? the laptop is a very nice HP G60...
Related:

4 responses

OK, I've been trying to figure this one out myself for quite some time, as I too have a G60 with a broken monitor, thanks to my sister's children. Anyway, the only way I've been able to get it to boot straight to my external monitor is by removing all the screws in the bottom (including the ones underneath the battery, hard drive, etc. and then you will want to unplug the LCD display after removing the bezel around the keyboard (use a flathead screwdriver to pop it off) and then look inside, right next to where you plug in your external monitor.
You will see a black ribbon cable with a long white plug. Unplug that, that's your LCD display. (this info will also come in handy if you come across a replacement display, you'll already know where it connects) Once you boot your computer back up, mine was set on a 0 wait on bootup, so I kept hitting F10 (on an external USB keyboard with the lid closed) and the BIOS came up, on my external. I changed the wait for key press to 10 seconds, so it has plenty of time to show up on the external monitor, now the POST screen shows up on the external monitor, even with the laptop lid wide open. Hope this helps.