External monitor broken laptop during boot [Closed]

-
 Warez -
There is a similar thread (for some reason on webmastering forum):
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-81726-external-monitor-to-broken-laptop-screen

Essentially, I have a laptop with a broken screen, and I want to convert it to a Linux headless server box. The problem is that I can't make the external monitor come up during bot up (therefore, I can't get into BIOS to switch booting sequence to start from DVD).

Any ideas? the laptop is a very nice HP G60...

4 replies

OK, I've been trying to figure this one out myself for quite some time, as I too have a G60 with a broken monitor, thanks to my sister's children. Anyway, the only way I've been able to get it to boot straight to my external monitor is by removing all the screws in the bottom (including the ones underneath the battery, hard drive, etc. and then you will want to unplug the LCD display after removing the bezel around the keyboard (use a flathead screwdriver to pop it off) and then look inside, right next to where you plug in your external monitor.
You will see a black ribbon cable with a long white plug. Unplug that, that's your LCD display. (this info will also come in handy if you come across a replacement display, you'll already know where it connects) Once you boot your computer back up, mine was set on a 0 wait on bootup, so I kept hitting F10 (on an external USB keyboard with the lid closed) and the BIOS came up, on my external. I changed the wait for key press to 10 seconds, so it has plenty of time to show up on the external monitor, now the POST screen shows up on the external monitor, even with the laptop lid wide open. Hope this helps.
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Two options. Connect the external monitor. Turn on laptop. You should see the acer logo on the external monitor. Press the F8 key right before the windows start up screen appears. You can then hit safe mode or better still below that is VGA mode. VGA mode should allow you to then see your desktop. If so go to the start menu.. control panel, monitors and displays then to setting where you may be able to switch to the external monitor.

Option 2 - and this worked perfect for me was to start the computer and then hit ctrl>Alt>F1 at the same time. Wait a minute. Your external monitor should pop up with a perfect desktop of your laptop.
Phoenix, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, both options don't help. Version 1 doesn't apply, since I don't have problem getting to external monitor in Windows. My question was how to get to external monitor during bootup.
Option 2, unfortunately, doesn't work. I tried to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 at many times during startup, but it has no effect. Maybe, it doesn't apply to my model. I have a different HP laptop at work where it boots into external monitor every time the lid is closed. So, apparently, different models behave differently. And HP tech support said pretty unambiguously - you can't get to external monitor until the system boots. Oh well, it became a nice "living room" PC attached to a TV.
Registration date
Saturday March 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
March 22, 2010
Have you tried plugging in the external display, opening the laptop, switching it on, and then imediatly closing it? that way the computer detects the connected display & not the one built in to your laptop.
Frankly, I haven't thought about it... but no; I close the lid as soon as I could (the button is inside, so it took a second or two), and I stare at Windows login screen again :(

I even caught the moment when it prompts "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM", and I am sure I got into the startup screen - I just can't see it.

would be very sad if I have to discard a decent laptop - or shell out $400 for a new screen (which is pretty close to the price of a new one)
Registration date
Saturday March 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
March 22, 2010
What is the exact model?

I am going through the same thing. I have the HP G60-630US.... I haven't figured it out yet, but I will. I have found multiple screens on ebay for way less than what HP wants...and they work just as good. The difference is that Hp provides a 1 (ONE) year warranty, as the ones on EBAY have a THREE year warranty. No question there....
Most HP and Compaq laptops will allow you to switch to the external monitor with a function key. I let my old laptop boot to the bootup screen (either for the system password or for the windows password) while both internal and external screens are blank (the hard drive stops spinning). Then I hold down the function key [fn] which is next to the Control Key [Ctrl] and I press the f4 key once or twice to activate the external monitor. My f4 key has an icon on it that looks like a small monitor similar to |o|. I am then able to use the external monitor. For the best video, you may need to go into monitor properties to select the best driver for your external monitor.

Hope this helps.