External hard drive not showing

Closed
Vikram - Aug 26, 2016 at 01:25 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 29, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Hello,
My Hitachi 250 GB external hard drive was working fine until one day all of a sudden it stopped showing in the system.
I have used Diskpart utility also but there also the hard drive is not showing.
Pl help I have all my data in the hard drive only without any backup.
Vikram

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 26, 2016 at 01:50 PM
first try another Windows computer
second try a Linux computer
third replace the drive
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 29, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Hi Vikram,

Are there any unusual noises coming from the drive? As xpcman suggested, try the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Connecting the drive on a Windows PC may really help. Search for the drive in Disk Management. Does the drive appear with a correct file format and a drive letter? If there is a problem with the drive, Windows and Mac iOS may not see the device, but Linux might do. If you have access to a Linux PC, test the drive on it. If you do not have, download a Linux Live version and make a bootable flash drive. Boot from the flash drive and connect the drive. Is it recognized?
Try using some data recovery software. Check the link below for some suggestions.
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

If the information is really important and you cannot access the drive even on a Linux OS, I would suggest you to try contacting a Data Recovery Company.

Hope this helps