WD My passport external hard drive stolen

Solved/Closed
Robbery victim - Updated by Ambucias on 19/01/17 at 05:03 AM
 Robbery victim - Jan 19, 2017 at 04:36 AM
Hello,

My WD My passport was recently stolen and possibly has some sensitive info on it. It is password protected using the WD software. Will the thief be able to access my files in any way, or will the drive be erased if incorrect password is used? I'm feeling very anxious about it.

Thanks!

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 18, 2017 at 03:33 AM
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about this. It was a really good idea to password protect your data. Additionally, the My Passport model uses a hardware encryption. Without the password, whoever stole the drive will not be able to view your files.
However, the drive may be completely usable if the drive is completely wiped and formatted. When it comes to encryption and security, the My Passport is a very reliable drive and I advise you not to worry about your information. If a wrong password has been used more than three times, then the drive will lock itself and the only option will be to factory reset the drive, erasing all data.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me, or contact the WD Support:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Q73zme

Hope this helps

Robbery victim
Jan 19, 2017 at 04:36 AM
Thank you so much, that really eases my mind. You have been very helpful