PotPlayer is a powerful and versatile media player you can use to play local or remote video and audio content. It features a good interface and offers advanced settings. This is a great choice among all the famous media players in the market.
What is PotPlayer?
PotPlayer is a multimedia software player developed by the South Korean Internet company Kakao for Microsoft Windows. Offering a wide range of features, it is a very good solution for playing videos and music locally or remotely on your PC while being able to tune many settings to boost your experience finely. It is a competitor of other famous media players, like VLC Media Player, KMPlayer, or Media Player Classic.
What are the key features of PotPlayer?
- Interface: It comes with a minimal interface quite similar to KMPlayer, making it easy to use and providing all the advanced settings in dedicated menus so it doesn't bloat your day-to-day experience. Besides, you can customize its appearance and style as themes are available by default and online.
- Play video: Of course, it is an excellent media player you will probably primarily use to play video locally on your PC. It handles any video format and can seamlessly handle large files.
- Play audio: Don't worry, you can also play music locally in PotPlayer. It provides detailed information about your audio files, like channel number, bitrate, file type, etc.
- Stream: Yes, it also supports live streaming so that you can source files from URLs and FTP servers. That is a great addition to avoid downloading the content you want to watch.
- Subtitles: Subtitles are supported in various formats, like the mainstream SRT and SMI formats, but also more exotic ones, like Vobsub for DVD, Blu-ray specific subtitles, ASS/SSA animation and SMI Ruby tags, and more. In addition, you can finely manually synchronize the subtitles through the settings.
- Settings: You can access a vast range of advanced settings for different topics, like subtitles, video, audio, quality, stream, etc. And another cool thing is that you can export your settings to configure PotPlayer on another machine instantly.
- Enhanced H/W acceleration: It provides high-quality performance while using minimum resources as it uses DXVA, CUDA, and QuickSync.
- 3D experience: It supports different types of 3D glasses to ensure you can enjoy the 3D experience whenever you want on your 3DTV or PC. Various output formats are supported (Side by Side, Top and Bottom, Page Flipping).
- Devices: It supports various devices, such as TV, DVD, HDTV, and more.
- Codecs: You don't need to install different codecs as it supports OpenCodec.
- Sound cards: In addition, users can freely switch between sound cards.
- More: You can also bookmark your favorite scene or chapter, preview scenes with snapshots, and enjoy a smooth and seamless video play.
How to use PotPlayer?
- Once PotPlayer is installed and launched, you can click Open > Open Files to open video or audio files on your PC.
- If you want to stream content from platforms like YouTube, Open > Open URL, then paste the video URL and click OK.
- Access the other settings by clicking on the gear icon.
Is PotPlayer free?
You can download and use the player for free.
Is PotPlayer safe?
What is better: PotPlayer or VLC?
Which one is better: PotPlayer or VLC? PotPlayer is highly customizable and comes with 3D support. On the other hand, VLC is open-source, and because it has fewer features, it is more user-friendly.