No signal to monitor

rustfarmer 9 Posts Wednesday February 21, 2018Registration date March 5, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2018 at 04:12 PM - Latest reply: ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen
- Mar 6, 2018 at 04:35 PM
Hello, I have a home built desktop unit that is running windows 10 and was working fine until I rearranged my desk (unit powered off at the time). Upon plugging everything back up, I get no signal to monitor. I have tried the usual fixes :ie plug out power drain; removed battery; swapped jumper; removed and swapped memory. My system button turns on all fans and sounds as if something clicks a few times, but no keyboard light, no mouse light (optical) no signal to either of two different types of monitors. I do have a graphics card, but have tried with it uninstalled and using built in plug with no difference. Tried booting with no memory, one stick or two. Thoughts? Thanks.

See more 

Your reply

18 replies

ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2018 at 04:16 PM
Thank you
Wow, all of that for moving the PC? Did you plug the monitor back into the wall/ It is ussually simple things. Always check simple stuff first. Now, when you removing hardware and such, did you use an ESD strap? If not, now we have multiple causes possibly for why it doesn't work.

When you press the montitor On Screen Menu Display button, does it dislay a menu asking for things like brightness, alignment, and such? If not, then the monitor doesn't work, and you might have destroyed the PC trying to troubleshoot it......
rustfarmer 9 Posts Wednesday February 21, 2018Registration date March 5, 2018 Last seen - Feb 21, 2018 at 06:32 PM
I have tried a different monitor/cable using the the other plug. Same result. As for ESD strap, rainy day and no static much plus I always grab the chassis first, so don't think that's it. Yeah, just cleaning up my desk space, and now the big unit with all the major storage (photos, music, old files) is down. Can't really tell if the hard drives are spinning, so I'm thinking PSU, but not sure if it's OK to pull the big connector to check voltages, or if I must back probe the thing.
Respond to ac3mark
ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen - Updated by ac3mark on 21/02/18 at 06:53 PM
Thank you
Well, as for all of the content on the drive, don't sweat that, just don't re-install anything!
If you have another machine, pull the drive, and put into into parallel with the host drive. Then you will be able to get the files you want.

You never answered if the OSD or menu was working.....

Then worry about the hardware. It can be done!

ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen - Mar 4, 2018 at 04:15 PM
It is your power to the house. What Country do you live in?

We had to test the house grounding before we deployed any computer services for this reason right here. It was the only thing that I, as an installer, was allowed to cancel the job for. That and violence, bust then it wasn't a cancellation, it was a management escalation!
rustfarmer 9 Posts Wednesday February 21, 2018Registration date March 5, 2018 Last seen - Mar 4, 2018 at 04:34 PM
Thank you again for your help. I will test house for voltage fluctuation, but as I am in the USA, Tennessee, and I personally wired my entire house, (and have some experience doing so) 30 years ago, doubt this is it. I will also try a different circuit, and if that fails, I will take the unit to my son's home who has a UPS unit he runs all his computers from. I will be surprised if this is it, however, this does make sense.
ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen - Mar 5, 2018 at 04:46 PM
There are ground test unit at box stores. PLug one in and it will tell you if something is bad. Thre hole outlets right?
rustfarmer 9 Posts Wednesday February 21, 2018Registration date March 5, 2018 Last seen - Mar 5, 2018 at 05:51 PM
Yes, three hole grounded outlets, house grounded to 8 foot ground rod I installed myself. I have one of the little plug in testers and just tested 3 different 4 way outlets--all tested good. Tried a multimeter and I get 125.1 volts between the two main prongs and exactly the same between hot and ground pin. Have not yet taken it son's house, but will maybe tomorrow and I'll let you know results. Lots of hair pulling and I didn't have much to begin with, ha ha. You got to laugh or you'll cry.
ac3mark 10260 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus August 15, 2018 Last seen - Mar 6, 2018 at 04:35 PM
Hang in there. Your potential sounds right.....let us know how it goes at his house.
Respond to ac3mark