Pulling in missing data between spreadsheets

Closed
mikejj24 Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 23, 2018 Status Member Last seen April 23, 2018 - Apr 23, 2018 at 09:34 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Apr 23, 2018 at 12:16 PM
I receive a spreadsheet every week that has a list of IP addresses of servers that need updates. Not all servers need updates every week so this spreadsheet is dynamic. Some of the IP addresses on this weekly spreadsheet have the associated Hostname in an adjacent field, some do not. I have other spreadsheets that have the full listing of IP Address/hostname combinations.

What I want to do is take the spreadsheet that I receive every week and populate the missing hostnames from the other spreadsheet(s). So go down the list of IPs, and if the hostname field is empty, grab the name corresponding to that IP from one of the other spreadsheets.

I could combine the full listing of IP/hostname combinations into one spreadsheet easy enough if that simplifies things.
Related:

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:16 PM
Hi Mike,

VLOOKUP seems to be the formula for you.
=VLOOKUP(The cell with the IP address you want to look up, The matrix where the IP addresses and hostnames are located which can be on a different sheet, The column number within the matrix you want to display as result which in your case will be 2)

Can you make that work for you?

Best regards,
Trowa