Satellite C855-226: audio driver not installed.

- Jun 27, 2018 at 12:04 AM - Latest reply:
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Jun 27, 2018 at 06:42 PM
Greetings,

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855-226 which is still a loyal device. Since the last Windows update the audio icon is being displayed as a red circle with an X inside over the speaker.

By now I've followed the advice of a variety of forums. So far, none of them have been working and I'm too much of a noob to figure this out on my own. Turned off and on drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled if possible. Tried "legacy" under "actions" but when installing that data it went BSOD on me. Now I've uninstalled the Realtek driver. It got replaced by "High Definition audio device". I can't find the Realtek driver anymore since the Toshiba website doesn't recognize the C855-226.

Am I taking the correct path by reinstalling Realtek? If so, where do I find the applicable driver for a C855-226 operating on Windows 10? If this isn't the correct course of action, what the bleep do I do?

Thanks,
Pieter.

ps: there are two drivers listed under audio drivers: High Definition audio driver and Intel(R) display audio. No idea if that's conflicting somehow. Before that it was RealTek and Intel.
See more 

Your reply

11 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Jun 27, 2018 at 05:16 AM
Thank you
Hi

Your sound card is a Realtek (ALC269Q-VB6-GR) and that's the driver you should have for that card. You should not have Intel(R) display audio.

Let me know
Sound card uninstalled and restarted. Sound card popped back up after restart, no sound. Current version is 10.0.17134.1
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
> Pieter - Jun 27, 2018 at 05:56 PM
Pieter,

Are you enjoying making it difficult for me or what?

So, you have the correct driver for your card.

There is no red X on the card in your device manager.

You have ensured that the sound was not disabled. (see control panel)

Since all of the above are okay, my last suggestion is to reseat the sound card.
Lol, I wish I was trolling but alas..

Correct driver should be installed. It lists two, High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. The first gets reinstalled if I deinstall it.

There is a red X over the icon in the taskbar, but nowhere in the control panel or device manager.

Clicking the sound icon in control panel prompts the message: "Sound can't be played on this computer because the Windows Audio-service isn't activated. Do you wish to activate the service now?" When I click yes I get the standard window where it says there are no audio devices installed.

So then, resetting the sound card. Do I have to go into the bios for that?

Thanks
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
> Pieter - Jun 27, 2018 at 06:31 PM
resetting the sound card. Do I have to go into the bios for that?

I meant reseating, that means to open the computer in a static free environment, locate the sound card, remove it, clean it with a lint free soft cloth and reinsert the card. (Please don't tell me it's a built in card or I'll swear)

Then...

1. Click the Start Button, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search Bar and press Enter to start Services.

2. In the right pane, please check whether the Windows Audio service is started.

3. If not, please double click the service. In the tab "General ", make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start this service.

If all fails, I will suggest your restore the system back to a date before the problem occurred. (no data is lost)
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Jun 27, 2018 at 06:42 PM
I forgot, you are on Windows 10. When you get to services, you should look up for realtek audio service, click right, and then go to properties. Ensure the service is enabled.

After you have done the above and reseated the card, if no sound, restore the system.
Respond to Ambucias