Days from date and stopping counting issue

Closed
gorillawar - Aug 1, 2018 at 03:37 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Aug 2, 2018 at 11:33 AM
Hello,

I am trying to create a new tracking sheet, and it focuses around this forumula I can't seem to find out how to fix. The formula I'm working with is below:

=IF(C3="",TODAY()-A3,C3-A3)

My objective was to create a tracking formula so I could put a date into a cell when notification was received/sent (A3), then have the cell next to it start counting(B3, also where the formula is located). Once that issue was resolved, I would input a date in the other cell (C3), which would them override the “today()” function, and do the subtraction portion (Also stopping an endless number count). This would show how long it takes for responses to have quick overview of how many days it took to respond to each issue.

My current dilemma is that when cell A3 is blank, the formula cell displays a sample number 43313. I'm not sure why it wont just show a blank cell when there is no data to grab from. Is there a way to fix it so it wont show this? I have tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 1, 2018 at 03:53 PM
YOu if statement says if C3 is blank, to take todays date and and subtract A3 from it.

The syntax for IF is:

-IF(LOGIC_TEST,TRUE,FALSE)

If we apply your formula to this syntax we get:
=IF(
{logic_test}C3="",
{TRUE}TODAY()-A3,
{FALSE}C3-A3
)

So, I hope this answers your question of why!