CPU fan is on, but not the computer

Solved/Closed
Littlelorelai - Updated on Oct 3, 2018 at 05:01 AM
 Littlelorelai - Oct 5, 2018 at 09:37 PM
The fix suggested on this site concerning computer fans that turn on but computers don't, of pushing power button for 30 seconds while everything is unplugged from computer works... But my question is, what is the cause of then problem? I ask because I've had to do the same fix twice this month. I'd like to know how to prevent the need for the fix. Any idea?

Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 3, 2018 at 05:20 AM
Is this a laptop?

"everything is unplugged" what is everything?
Littlelorelai
Oct 3, 2018 at 08:43 AM
It's an old desktop computer. Windows XP. The issue I have resolves when I unplug everything that is plugged into the computer, like the mouse, the monitor, the keyboard, and the power cable. I push the power button in and hold it for 30 seconds. Then I plug everything back into the computer. The power cord, the monitor, the mouse, the keyboard. Then I turn on the computer and it starts. What I'm asking is what can I fix on the computer to prevent me from having to go through all that to get the computer to start. What causes the issue that requires that fix?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168 > Littlelorelai
Oct 3, 2018 at 04:55 PM
Can you please try this. Don't unplug anything other than the power cable, just press and hold the power button 30 seconds, then plug and see it your machine boots.
Littlelorelai
Oct 3, 2018 at 06:22 PM
Well, its resolved, as I said. My interest is in why it becomes as issue. But to answer your question, I actually tried that quite a few times because I didn't want to have to unplug everything, especially the money.
You're so nice for trying. Ty
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Oct 3, 2018 at 06:29 PM
Hi

In my view, it's because of accumulated residual "Flea power". (stagnant power in the circuits which must be drained)

But, just to be sure, I would change the CMOS battery.

I was a pleasure exchanging with you. Come around anytime.

P.S. I hope you are not surfing the net with that Windows old XP, that would be asking for trouble.
Littlelorelai
Oct 4, 2018 at 10:44 AM
Yes. I actually planned on changing the cmos batteries on two computers. But I didn't know the two issues were connected. I wondered. But i wasn't sure. What do you mean by "stagnant flea powder?"

Haha. No. I don't have internet on my windows XP computers. But why do you say that? Viruses? Hacking?

Its been my pleasure as well. I thank you so much!
Let me try to explain the "flea Power". A computer is a huge bank of registers. A register can be a 1, a 0 , or NULL (not on or off). Sometimes, electricity is "stored" in a capacitor, or other devices, that will hold (or clamp) a register to "not normal value", therefore preventing normal startup. What you are doing, is forcing the CLAMPED power to be removed from the system, removing the clamp, and allowing all registers to return to NULL. On startup, the CPU is expecting a NULL. It knows what to do with a NULL. I hope that helps!
Littlelorelai
Oct 4, 2018 at 07:49 PM
It does help. I thank you! :)
What I don't understand is how does the cmos have to do with video?

For example, I changed the cmos battery and computer didn't start again. But upon unplugging and holding power button for 30 seconds and plugging everything back in again, it started. The date and time were correct as well. I thought the cmos battery only dealt with day and time.

Hopefully the problem is now fixed.
You've been wonderful. Ty
Blocked Profile
Oct 5, 2018 at 04:53 PM
The CMOS(BIOS) is in control of ALL HARDWARE!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Littlelorelai
Oct 5, 2018 at 09:37 PM
Gosh. That's awesome. Tiny little battery. Who knew. Haha.