External USB hard drive don't show up

Closed
BIGBOSS - Mar 19, 2020 at 05:38 AM
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 - Jun 8, 2020 at 05:25 AM
Hello,

My External hard drive does not show up in my XPS 2019 Win 10 64bit. It is Seagate backup Plus Slim+ 2TB.

I plugged the hard drive like the usual thing to do, copying file, suddenly the speed was slowing down to the point where file was took longer, so I plugged out the hard drive.
The next day, I tried to plugged in, nothing show up.

I checked in Computer Management, Disk Management and Device Management, there is nothing showing up and did the disk part and list volume or list disk, also nothing show up.

I did check in my device manager, yes there is 'Seagate BUP Slim SL SCSI Disk device' under disk drive but here is the thing, I did all the solution out there in the internet, update drive or uninstall device but nothing is work.

Another thing is, when I plugged in the hard disk, there is a usual USB beeping sound but after a minute or two, another USB beeping sound of plugging out.

Please help!

System Configuration: Windows / Firefox 74.0
Related:

2 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Mar 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM
Hello, below is the top response from this similar question.

Click on Start. In search box, type
cmd
and press Enter. "Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below mentioned commands:
  • set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    and press Enter
  • cd \
    and press Enter
  • cd windows\system32
    and press Enter
  • start devmgmt.msc
    and press Enter

"Device Manager" window will be opened. Now in the device manager, click on View > Select Show hidden devices.

Expand all the nodes by clicking on + symbol. If you find any grey or UNKNOWN entries, right click on it and select Uninstall.

Restart your PC. Now try connecting your external drive.

Let me know if this helps!
As mention in the question, I did the device manager solution but it does not work
LauraYuan Posts 33 Registration date Monday September 16, 2019 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2020 7
Updated on Jun 8, 2020 at 06:01 AM
I recently installed an external hard drive and some similar problems. Turn your computer off, then unplug the USB cable, and then the power to the drive. Restart your computer, plug the power into the hard drive, wait 10 seconds, and then plug the USB into the computer. This clears the hard drive buffer. See if the drive shows up in disk management. Before formating, turn off your antivirus. I had no problems once I did that.

Good Luck.