How to recover my desktop overwritten file?

Closed
Lola-1983 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday May 13, 2020 Status Member Last seen May 13, 2020 - May 13, 2020 at 06:34 AM
lewisbert103 Posts 12 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2020 - Dec 24, 2020 at 08:33 AM
The last time I update the word file is two days before. However, today i found the file with its whole folder is gone, nothing in recycle bin, unable to recover with EasyUS data recovery tool... Another recovery tool only detect three INK format file....
My deskmate said the file must be replaced or overwritten by me, but I don't really remember I have done any thing like that...
Related:

4 responses

Cassie09 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday December 17, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 31, 2020 1
Dec 21, 2020 at 05:02 AM
Hi,

You may open a Word file, click File > Option > Save. Then, find Autorecover file location. You can copy this path and paste it in File Explorer to see if any autosaved versions of the needed Word file is visible.

Maybe your files and folder are hidden somehow. here is how to show hidden files and folders:

1. Windows + E to open Windows File Explorer.
2. Click View on the toolbar, then tap Options to open Folder Options.
3. At the View tab, check the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option at the Advanced settings, click Apply and OK.
Joseph_3410 Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday December 24, 2019 Status Member Last seen December 22, 2020 1
Dec 18, 2020 at 08:25 AM
1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Find the folder where the file is located
3. Inside the folder right click anywhere and select properties
4. Now select Previous version Tab
5. Look for an earlier version of the over written file and restore it
lewisbert103 Posts 12 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2020 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2020 5
Updated on Dec 24, 2020 at 10:13 AM
When data is overwritten, new information is recorded over the old information.
At the same time, unused file system clusters are used to record new information. This happens when, after data is lost, the user continues to use the disk for various purposes and writes new files over the old ones. Professionals are unlikely to make such an oversight, but ordinary users may not notice that they have overwritten the data.
Strictly speaking, it is impossible to recover overwritten files. BUT, if the file was archived or the file is skipped when other files were overwritten, it can be restored.
Try to recover overwritten files to use the built-in recovery utility in Windows. To do this, go to Start and select "Backup and Restore." then select one of the options:
To enter "Backup and Restore" on Windows 10, press Windows button + S and you will see a search box. Type "Backup and Restore" or only “backup”, as the best match will be "Backup and Restore (Window 7)”. Click on it.
Use “Backup or restore your files”, if Windows Backup was set up, or "Select another backup to restore files from". Here you can select any desired data for overwritten file recovery.
Again, this method is good if you have set up Windows Backup.

I hope this is helpful!
Regards,