I've followed the instructions, but do not get the warning screen.
Ultimately I want to wipe all data before disposing of the unit. It had vista which no longer updates and i don't think it can handle 10 so; scrap-heap.
System Configuration: Android / Chrome 79.0.3945.136
Hello, a similar question to this was asked in this forum post, and you can use these steps to erase your Hard Drive:
Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partion on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.
To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps. It worked for me, and should work for you.
ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.
1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine. Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.
2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.
3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.
4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.
5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.
6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.
7) Click Next to Start recovery.