CONDITIONAL FORMATTING (OFFICE 2016)

Solved/Closed
lcarolus20 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday July 21, 2021 Status Member Last seen July 22, 2021 - Jul 21, 2021 at 05:40 AM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Jul 22, 2021 at 01:31 AM
Hi Guys

I want Excel to highlight cells(in a column) based on the value(text) I select from a drop-down list in another column.

So each time I select this value "complete" from the drop-down list I want excel to highlight another cell in another column(but still in the same row) with a certain color.

My drop down list runs from $C$3-$C$33
The column runs from $H$3-$H$33
Related:

6 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Updated on Jul 21, 2021 at 07:21 AM
Hello Icarolus,

This will set the colour back to normal (default=no colour) should anything but "Complete" be selected:-

Option Compare Text
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Intersect(Target, Range("C3:C33")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub

If Target.Value = "Complete" Then
              Target.Offset(, 5).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
              Else
              Target.Offset(, 5).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
        End If

Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

If I change from "Complete" to "Not Started" the color remains on the color "yellow".

Isn't this contradictory to this:

Should I change the value from "Complete" to say "Not Started" or "In progress" in the drop down the color should go to default value.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jul 21, 2021 at 06:06 AM
Hello Icarolus,

A simple worksheet_change event code will do this for you.

Option Compare Text
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Intersect(Target, Range("C3:C33")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
        If Target.Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub

If Target.Value = "Complete" Then
              Target.Offset(, 5).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
        End If

Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This code will high-light a cell in Column H in yellow (same row) within your specified range once the criteria "Complete" is selected from the drop downs in Column C.

To implement this code:-

- Right click on the sheet tab.
- Select "View Code" from the menu that appears.
- In the big white code field that then appears, paste the above code.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
lcarolus20 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday July 21, 2021 Status Member Last seen July 22, 2021
Updated on Jul 21, 2021 at 06:36 AM
Hi buddy

Thanks man...but I should have mentioned this in my post...I have 3 values-"Complete", "In Progress" and "Not Started".

Should I change the value from "Complete" to say "Not Started" or "In progress" in the drop down the color should go to default value.

If I change from "Complete" to "Not Started" the color remains on the color "yellow".This is what is currently happening
lcarolus20 Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday July 21, 2021 Status Member Last seen July 22, 2021
Updated on Jul 21, 2021 at 08:55 AM
Your solution works perfectly..Thanks man

(If I change from "Complete" to "Not Started" the color remains on the color "yellow".) I said this to tell you what excel is doing currently.

I wont say its contradictory.. (example: If I change from "Not Started"("Not Started" does have a default color of white) to "Complete" the color of the cell change to yellow right...Now the thing is when I go to the drop down to change the cell value to "Not Started" that I have change previously from "Not Started" to "Complete" the cell color is suppose to change back to white

I hope you understand :) ..Thank you for help my friend

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Updated on Jul 21, 2021 at 08:19 PM
Hello Icarolus,

Your solution works perfectly..Thanks man

You're welcome.
Does this mean that the second code I supplied does the task for you?

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Jul 22, 2021 at 01:09 AM
Gm Sir

Yes man..The second code works perfectly :)
Jul 22, 2021 at 01:31 AM
Excellent! Thumbs up all round!

Cheerio,
vcoolio.