Using my sony bravia tv as a second monitor

Solved/Closed
nikka 1984 - Jun 26, 2009 at 01:16 PM
 Sho - Nov 30, 2014 at 04:25 AM
Hello,
every time I try to hook up my hp laptop to my sony bravia tv it says invalid format see it when the computer boots up but then goes blank how do I change the format
Related:

8 responses

I have a Bravia KDL-40W3000, which is almost 2 years old, & I've been able to use it as a full HD (1920x1080) monitor on my Dell Inspiron laptop via a VGA cable. It was tricky to get it set up, though, and the 1st VGA cable I tried did not have a full complement of pins and didn't work. Once I got it set up, every time I connect the laptop it defaults to the full HD resolution. Check which resolutions the video card in your HP can support.
Kent, I am using a Sony Bravia as well as an Inspiron laptop, I am having difficulty getting my TV to recognize the PC. I have connected the PC to the TV via VGA cable and have also connected an audio cable from the PC to the laptop. ANy suggestions on getting it settup? You mentioned that was the difficult part; I am experiencing a similar trend. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Stiz,
I was having the same problem you are having. I have an Inspiron E1505 laptop and a KDL-46v5100 Sony Bravia TV. I tried using a SVGA cable, but received a "No signal" in TV input. The PC input was greyed out, so I could not select it.
Here is how I fixed the problem while chatting with a Sony customer service rep who did not know how to fix the problem:

- First - Press the menu button on the remote or the side of the TV
- Scroll down to Channel on the left side.
- Select "Manage Inputs" from this menu.
- Scroll down to PC and select it.
- Select "Enable"
- Select Menu (PC should now be enabled)
- Use the Personalize Menu in Windows Vista. The max pixels you can have 1280x780 or else you get error message.
- I have a NVidia graphics card and I have to enable the clone of the computer to have it show up on the TV. I would check to see what video card you have and you may have to do the same thing.

I hope this helps It worked for me.

Dummy