Hp dv9000 screen pixelated and then blank [Closed]

-
 MirandaEsque -
Hello,

My laptop was working fine until last week. I usually watch movies before going off to bed and the the laptop is switched on all the time. However, when I woke up in the morning, the laptop was fine. I restarted it and all of a sudden, the lcd screen is pixelated and the laptop goes to the blue screen and re-boots itself. I went to safe mode and disabled the graphics card. I lost the resolution but I could still work. Then few days later, the screen goes completely blank when I re-boot the laptop. All the lights come on and the harddisk works but I cannot see anything on the screen. One of my friends suggested that I should change the operating system to Windows 7 and gave me a bootable cd. I insert the cd, but nothing comes on the screen, but this time, I can here the noise of windows vista booting. Have not used my laptop since the last week and its killing me.

Please help me out on this one.

4 replies

hey....i had a similar problem and I think it might be an over-heating issue, even though I do not leave my laptop on any soft surfaces that can promote it heating too much. Anyways, I read that you can disconnect the power supply, take out the battery, and then hold down your power button for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then reconnect the battery and power supply and mine worked. I still get a black screen every once in a while though, but it has worked to do this to fix the problem and at least I can still use my laptop. Let me know if it work....i would be interested to see if it the same problem.
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 3123 users have said thank you to us this month

Hey dj, thanks for this advice. Just did it on mine and bingo, problem sorted. Thanks for posting!
Hi

I had the same problem with my dv6000 and I tried something I found on another site. I turned on my laptop and wrapped it in a blanket for about 45 mins. When it got really heated I turned the laptop off and allowed it to cool for another 30 mins or so. After that I rebooted it and it worked just fine. I think the problem is that when the laptop overheats the soldering of the graphics card comes loose. Heating it again and then cooling it might refix the soldering (just a guess). Hope this helps some of the fellow victims of HP laptops :-)
Have you tried hooking an external monitor up to it? This will allow you to see if the operating system and other components are OK.

Might be as simple as replacing the video card in the laptop (I haven't checked, but HP does have some good troubleshooting pages on their web site). If you can use an external monitor that will allow you to at least use your laptop until a fix is available.
Registration date
Wednesday July 15, 2009
Status
Last seen
July 15, 2009
I do not have access to external monitor. Is there any other way, I can solve this problem? has this got to do with ram or my battery?
Registration date
Wednesday July 15, 2009
Status
Last seen
July 15, 2009
I do not have access to external monitor. Is there any other way, I can solve this problem? has this got to do with ram or my battery?
Hey....I have the same problem try is reboot your computer and press F8-->highlight the safe mode with network and restore. Mine is working for few days and back to black screen after few days. I thought was a video card but if I login as a gues it works good.
Hey Folks....

Just wanted to share my solution after having my HP dv9000 down for over a year because I didn't want to deal with the BSOD, pixelated screens and automatic shutdowns.

First, I took a deep breath, then chased it with a shot of whiskey. Now you're ready. I then carefully! Took the computer apart, just enough to get to the fan, then blew compressed air into it, be careful not to let the fan just spin freely, as not to mess up the bearings. Then carefully put it back together. There are youtube videos on this, but if you're not comfortable, you might be able to get away with blowing air through the casing?

Next, I started my computer in Safe Mode with Networking. Then, use the Control Panel to navigate to the Device Manager (Under the Hardware Tab of System Properties). Select Display Adapters, your NVIDIA GeForce 7600 should be displayed. Double click it. Select the Driver tab. Select Roll Back Driver. Then shut down your lap top.

Finally, PERFORM A HARD RESET. To do this: After your laptop is shut down, remove the charger and the battery. HOLD DOWN the power button for 30seconds. Then insert the laptop charger first then the battery. Turn on your laptop. After booting up it might prompt you to do a fix, after running through this prompt, it probably won't find a fix, that's ok. Proceed with logging on as normal. And with that I hope you have some resolution to this hell if the laptop hasn't already completely destroyed itself.

GOOD LUCK kittens

Smiles,
Miranda