Laptop running Slow

Closed
PMAC - Jul 3, 2008 at 09:48 AM
maj0198 Posts 10 Registration date Thursday June 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2010 - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM
Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can help my laptop has just started running really slow it was fine last week and i have not downloaded any new, it can connect to the internet but not load up a page unless you give it 15 mins. The cpu usage is running at 2-4%. All other programs are running slow but not as slow as the internet.

I have defraged the system and even done a system restor from over 3 weeks ago but i'm still having the problem.

I have check with my ISP(BT) and they can't seem to help.

I have reset the router several times/did updates and reset the laptop.

I have a different laptop/ps3 and nintendo wii that can all contact to the internet and work very quick.

As you can tell i have checked the basics with any joy, can someone please please help. I don't want to format the hard drive but its looking like i don't have a choice.

Regards
PMAC
Related:

5 responses

lfefil Posts 60 Registration date Monday December 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2009 10
Dec 25, 2009 at 01:55 AM
well you don't want to format your drive but i think there is some virus attack in your pc . why don't you repair your system software? well if you repair it don't format any drive. and i think you cant just format your drive for slower reason. because as you said your processor is using 2-4 % only that means there is no load but be sure you have install some heavy software shortly? have you try to use it by disable your antyvirus?
just buy ALIENWARE brand laptop or computers it is very fast
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Follow these steps and you'll have your computer purring like a vintage Porsche (or whatever your dream car of choice is). And the best part? Maintaining your computer is a lot less messy than an automobile. You don't even have to roll up your sleeves.

Clean up disk errors (Run once a week)

Whenever a program crashes, or you experience some power outage, your computer may create errors on your computer's hard disk. Over time, the errors can slow your computer. Luckily, the Windows operating system includes a Disk Check program to check and clean any errors on your computer and keep it running smoothly.

Remove temporary files (Run once a week)
Your computer can pick up and store temporary files when you're looking at Web pages and even when you're working on files in programs, such as Microsoft Word. Over time, these files will slow your computer's performance. You can use the Windows Disk Cleanup screen to rid your computer of these deadbeat files.

Rearrange your data (Run once a month)
Don't be shocked, but your computer can get sloppy. Your computer often breaks files side by side to increase the speed of access and retrieval. However, as files are updated, your computer saves these updates on the largest space available on the hard drive, often found far away from the other adjacent sectors of the file.

Make Internet Explorer run faster
The Web is a sparkling achievement of modern society. It's everywhere--from the home to the classroom. We use it to communicate, to work, to play--even to waste time when there's nothing else to do.

Automate Microsoft Update (Configure once)
Microsoft works constantly to release updates to Windows and other Microsoft products, including Office. At Microsoft Update, you can find and install all these updates--not just the critical ones. Often, these updates will improve your computer's performance.

Install antivirus and antispyware programs
Computer viruses and spyware (hidden software that gathers information about you without your knowledge or consent when you're using a computer) both reduce system performance. Computer viruses can not only reduce performance, but they can also destroy data. Any computer that accesses the Internet should have antivirus and antispyware programs installed.
happyer Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 9, 2010
Jun 9, 2010 at 07:47 PM
Hello

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
maj0198 Posts 10 Registration date Thursday June 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2010
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM
you should get avast virus protection and delet all history all recycle bin files