2 IP for internet connection in a LAN

Closed
suren - Aug 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 23, 2009 at 05:45 PM
Hello Sir,

I have two internet lines (Broad Band and ADSL) connected to one computer. This is for, if one line is disturb or doesn't function then other line is for option. Both have an own IP, DNS's & a "Default Gateway". Because we have to share file and use account program through networking. The problem is that when any one internet connection is inactive I have to change the IP and gateway of the LAN and have to put another IP and gateway for immediate time, but this seems to disturbing the time and hesitating. So I need a solution for this problem so that I have to use internet frequently by keeping both of this IP in a single LAN as a primary and secondary so that I need not have to change the IP time to time, if one fails then other have to work.

Thank You.

Sincerely,
Surendra Maharjan
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 23, 2009 at 05:45 PM
have you tried this:
go to your network adaptor properties,
in internet protocol properties,
select the alternate configuration tab
in there you can set different ip, gate way etc.

i think this kicks in if the first one fails.
may need a reboot when one or the other fails I don't know. or it may kick in automatically after a short while until it notices the loss,.

let me know if that works or not.