Laptop will not connect to the internet!

Closed
pjordan520 - Sep 27, 2009 at 05:15 PM
 pjordan520 - Sep 28, 2009 at 04:14 AM
Hello,

My friends laptop has been conected to a broadband connection and then just all of a sudden stopped connecting to the internet. She asked me to look at it so I brought it to my house but I haven't had much luck so far. The only connection that I can find is a wireless one and I think it is picking up signal on and off from my neighbors. She has the same router that I do and when I connect her laptop to my internet it doesn't do anything. When my router is hooked up to my computer the power, enet, recv, sync & ready buttons are either lit and/or flashing but when her laptop is hooked up to the internet only the power, sync & ready buttons light up. I've tried to create a new broadband connection instead of a wireless one with no luck what so ever. I just connected her laptop to my router witha usb cable and her internet is working fine. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help!
Paige
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 27, 2009 at 05:54 PM
It sounds like the Ethernet adapter is not working. I would go to Device Manager and check if a broadband device is listed under Network Adapters. If one is listed I would first do a Roll Back of the driver. Then restart the laptop. If that doesn't work I would delete the adapter and then go to the Add Hardware Icon and use it to search for and add the adapter again. If that does not fix the problem, you could download the latest device driver from the manufacturer.

Good Luck
I opened the device manager and the only connection under network adapters is a wireless connection. Then under View I clicked 'show hidden devices' & 8 more connections showed up. A Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection showed up (this is the same 1 i use on my computer so i figured this is what i need). I clicked on it and it says everything is working properly. I tried to roll back the driver and it says 'no driver files have been backed up for this device' and then asks me if i want to open the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter is not any help b/c you need the internet to use it! It says I can uninstall it but not delete it. I'm scared to uninstall it because it will not let me add a new connection. The owner of the laptop called the internet company when it first stopped working and they told her the computer needed a new motherboard. Thanks for your help!