Uninstall SP3 for Windows XP

Closed
ClassicD57 Posts 3 Registration date Friday October 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2009 - Oct 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM
ClassicD57 Posts 3 Registration date Friday October 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2009 - Oct 17, 2009 at 01:22 PM
Hello,
Ok, I'm new at this forum thing so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I just posted this but I think it's in the wrong place so here it is again. lol Now you know why I can't fix my own computer!

Hello,
Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can set me straight on the steps to get SP3 AND Internet Explorer 8 off of my computer.

Yesterday I found how to go through the Run Command and Uninstall because under Add/Remove there was no option to do this. As it was Uninstalling, I got an error message that said it couldn't copy some files and wanted me to change the path or to type in Windows NET Service Pack Uninstall, which I did. Still no good. So I kept just clicking on cancel until I got out of it.

Then!! I wasn't able to keep Internet Connection at all! I used the Go Back feature on my computer and put it all back. Today....Thanks to your forum I see that MS meant for me to put in C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ !!! Would be nice if they were more specific in their instructions for those of us that don't quite get it!

Anyway, after using Go Back, I'm here again trying to figure out if I should try to remove SP3 again by using that command?

Also, after that, IF I have internet connection at all, do I then go in and Uninstall IE8?

And if I do that, what is giving me my internet connection to be able to go in and download maybe IE6 or 7 and SP2?

Do I need to turn off my Firewall and Virus Scan before I ReInstall anything?

Sorry to go on and on about this but I have tried to figure this out on my own and have used Go Back so many times. Also, I have the same UPDATE issue as mentioned here. My Automatic Updates don't seem to be applying and the only way to get my Updates is to completely turn off my computer. Sometimes it says I have 40 to 50 updates!! That's got to be doing something bad to my computer.

Thank you to everyone who shares their knowledge here.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 17, 2009 at 01:01 PM
here is the link to the Microsoft instructions for removing SP3

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/950249/

Good Luck
ClassicD57 Posts 3 Registration date Friday October 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 17, 2009
Oct 17, 2009 at 01:22 PM
Yes, did all that step by step but when it was Uninstalling it was giving me error messages that it couldn't copy the file. I tried to skip one but it went on and on. Thanks for the reply.