USB devices not recognized

Closed
don - Dec 21, 2009 at 05:55 PM
broirish Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2009 - Dec 21, 2009 at 07:07 PM
Hello,
IBM Thinkpad, XP W/SP2, two USB ports, neither of them recognize any USB devices; flash drive, ext. HD, Printer, etc. I plug devices in, lights on the flash, hd, etc. go on so they are getting power. Device Mgr. shows that all USB controllers are working properly. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Both USB ports were working properly until I installed SP3. I have uninstalled SP3, still doesn't work. Strangely, I don't get a message that whatever I plug into the USB port is not being recognized; I don't get any message at all, it just doesn't seem to see anything. Anyone have any suggestions?
Related:

1 response

Check in Device manager when you plug any USB, What it comes up with ?
If you are using any USB hub remove that and test direct plug to computer usb ports.

If you having "other device" in device manager, Try uninstalling that from device manger and unplug and replug device on other USB port.
broirish Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 21, 2009
Dec 21, 2009 at 07:07 PM
Thanks...I already tried all that. Device Manager shows all UBS controllers (host, root hubs, etc.) working properly. No "other device" showing. I am plugging USB cable (printer and HDD) and the flash drive directly into the USB port...not using a hub. Neither port is seeing the devices nor do I get a message that the device is "not recognized"...