Ip address

Closed
Karen - Jan 15, 2010 at 04:47 PM
 karen - Jan 18, 2010 at 03:50 PM
Hello, TJ or Others who may beable to Help me ~ I have a Toshiba laptop (windows vista) I travel staying at different Hotels & connect with the hotels wireless connections or hardwire jacks ~I Recently stay at a hotel where they had no hardwire jack just wireless & I could not get a connection ~ I had called the hotel wireless provider service Logteck they changed my ip address & then internet access was fine, I went to dinner came back lost my connection & called the provider back & they could not help me connect again ~ I came home & tried connecting to a local area wireless connection as well as connecting my westell modem ethernet cable that I use for my home pc to my laptop it showed I had a connection but could not open any internet web pages~ But the modem works fine on my home pc. I called my at&t Provider spent many hours trying to solve my problem no sucess ~ they said it is not the right IP address , also the net adapter is fine , the firewall was ok & the 1st network adapter has a warning yellow yeild sign, may I please get someone to walk thru steps on what I could possiably do to help me with this matter, it would be very much appreciated ~ Karen

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 16, 2010 at 08:41 AM
Hi there,

You were assigned a manual fixed ip address on your laptop,to resolve this issue,set your ip to automatic ,its done by:

-right click on the network icon on task bar and select 'network and sharing center,
-then on right pane select manage network connection,
-right click on wireless network connection>properties.
-now select tcp/ip 4/6 and press on properties ans select automatic ip.

Turn on your wireless and connect to available network,openrun by pressing start+r and type cmd and press on ok.Type the following command:

-ipconfig /release
-ipconfig /flushdns
-ipconfig /renew and wait for new ip address.If still having issues Open internet explorer and go to tools and press on diagnose connection problems.

Thanks
Thank-you so very much with your time in helping me ~ I have done all you said to do in fixing the ip address but i received for ip confguration it says no operation can be performed on wireless network while it has its media disconnected ~ an error occured while releasing interface loopback 1 : the system cannot find the file specified ~ i also tryed opening up internet explorer and tools but the diagnose connection problems is not highlighted for me to click on it ~ do you know what else i can do ~ you help so very much appreciated ~ respectfully, Karen