Usb drive doesnt work

Closed
antony bennett - Jan 23, 2010 at 11:58 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 23, 2010 at 01:36 PM
Hello,
i have a problem with my dv drives on my laptop whenever i put somethink into the usb drive it a baloon comes up saying device not recognised, now it does this with every usb device i try to connect with it, i even tried plugging the devices into our main computer in the house and they worked fine i dont understand why its not workin in my lapto

my laptop is a sony vaio vgn-fs315m

any help greatly appreciated thanks

Ant
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Jan 23, 2010 at 01:36 PM
Normally when you plug in a USB device your computer should make a make a bong or a double bong sound, do you hear this? Make sure the volume is turned up as this is a good way to tell if the device is being recognized.

If you hear the bong sound then it means the device is being recognized as being plugged in, but it could mean a driver problem, if it’s a storage device more often than not it’s just hidden, by this I mean its trying to use the same drive letter as another device.

The easiest way to fix this is to go into Disk Management and then change the drive letter to one that’s not in use, the next time you plug in the device it should remember the free drive letter that it last used.

If you are using another device such as a printer or scanner even if the device makes the bong sound when connected make sure it is using the correct drivers.

The easiest way to check this is to go to Device Manager (this can be accessed by right clicking on computer or my computer and selecting manage – device manager) Now look for any little Yellow exclamation marks.

This indicates if the device does not have the correct driver installed, right click on the device and select update driver and point it at the driver CD or download the correct driver from the manufacturer’s website.

If your computer is asking for USB drivers for absolutely everything, keyboards, flash drives etc then it may be a problem with Windows USB driver location.

Windows as a default has a large driver database for USB devices and it should have drivers for just about any standard hardware such as flash drives, external hard drive and keyboards etc, but are common USB devices not recognized ? then Windows may have lost the location to the driver database.

To get Windows to find the USB driver database again it’s normally just a quick registry change and a single file to delete.

To launch the Registry editor type Regedit from the Start Run menu

Before making any changes to your Windows registry make sure to back it up first.

Once presented with the Registry editor screen drill down to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Now you should be able to see a string labelled DevicePath – check to make sure that amongst everything else in the string it also contains %SystemRoot%\inf, if its missing just add it to the beginning and insert a semi colon after it for example %SystemRoot%\inf;

Now close the Registry editor and go My Computer C:Windows\inf\ and delete the file INFCACHE.1 (Windows will recreate this file)