Windows Update cannot check for updates

Closed
SFOLaw - Feb 17, 2010 at 02:43 PM
 anton - May 18, 2010 at 02:13 AM
Hello,
Whenever Windwos Update in Windows 7 RC Ultimate 64-bit tries to run, it encounters some sort of problem and quits with the error message "....unable to check for updates because the service is stopped. You may wish to restart your computer."

Needless to say, restarting has no effect whatsoever. As a result of this issue, I haven't gotten any updates since 12/9/2009. <Blush!>

Can anyone help? The last event logged by the management console was code 38 - a stop request sent to windows update. Nothing will restart it. Attempts to do so form the System Components - Services menu cause it to initialize, and then it stops again.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 17, 2010 at 03:10 PM
It's time to get a real copy of Windows 7.

Free use of the Windows 7 Release Candidate's days are numbered.

Beginning Sunday, people who downloaded and installed the free test version of Microsoft Windows 7, known as the release candidate, were scheduled to start receiving messages warning of shutdowns. The bi-hourly shutdowns will start on March 1, and the release candidate will expire completely on June 1, 2010.
I recognize your point. I was hoping that someone else had encountered the problem so I could learn if it were due to malware or not. While I am doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, I will be loading my data files and program files back on from backup disks and the like. I would hate to put the same problem into the new system.

Yours is the only response I have received, however, so I have not obtained much illumination of the possibility that Windows Update is somehow stopped and impossible to restart because of some malware infection.

Thank you for pointing out that in principle, at least, I should be able to get a good version by installing the new Windows 7 Pro.

Jim
I have the same problem with a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (not RC), so the problem is not resolved in the final version of Windows 7.