We recently had an employee leave our company. Her files are backed-up on a WD my book essential external hard drive. The program to restore is password protectected and we have no way of getting that information. is there any way to reset the password?
Pressing the recovery button while powering up the device resets the admin user
name and password to default without erasing shared folders or volumes. The
recovery button also resets network configuration to DHCP (obtain an IP address
automatically). Follow the instructions below to reset the device using the recovery
1. Turn off the device and disconnect all cables from the unit.
2. Insert a paperclip or narrow tipped pen into the recovery slot on the back of the
unit. Press and hold down the recovery button.
3. While continuing to hold down the recovery button, connect the power cable to
the back of the unit.
4. Hold the recovery button down until 10 seconds after the power/activity LED
lights on the front of the device, then release the button. The unit may take up to
three minutes to boot up completely.
Note: The default user name is admin and the default password is 123456.
I tried the information to fix this below, and it is not correct.
Please follow the link to the Knowledge Base article from Western Digital about resetting the admin password. It's a long link but will take you to the right place :-) Cheers, Sue
Just FYI. To reset the admin and DHCP on a MyBook do the following:
1. Unit is on, press and hold the reset button for 2 minutes. Unplug all cables including the power.
2. Now the unit is off and your still hold the reset button in. At the end of the first 60 secs, plug the power cable back in and continue to hold the reset button for the remaining 60 secs.
3. After you have completed the first two steps plug the other cables back in.
4. It will take between 3 and 5 minutes before you see the MyBook back on the network or connected by USB.
5. Access the web interface. I do this by opening a browser and typing the ip address of the device or the name.
Click on file sharing. The login is now admin and the password is 123456
Go ahead and change any user passwords to something simple.