Lost data at Reboot

Closed
sibilla77 - Mar 4, 2010 at 03:35 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 5, 2010 at 05:43 AM
Hello,
I have a Windows XP and I have been running Utorrent when my computer seemed to run out of memory or something when Mozilla tried to install its latest version. What happened was that the all computer lost the icon and on the desktop only the writing underneath the icons was visible. So I closed Utorrent and rebooted the computer but once I restarted I noticed that i lost data, everything I made or downloaded in the last day.

Why? Can anybody help me with this? Its not the first time that it happens .

Please don't tell me to insert any Windows CDs because I don't have them this was a pre installed package.

Thanks
Sara

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 4, 2010 at 04:16 PM
Hello Sara,

No I will not tell you to insert a CD, but I suggest you make back-ups, just in case. There is a function for that with XP.

Anyhow, here is what I suggest.

Click on start, then accessories, system restore; from there, you can roll back your system do a date before the memory crash. You may need then to redownload the last data which anyway you had lost, some of which may still be in your temp files.

Best regards
Hi Ambucias,
thanks for the advice I will do that. But any ideas why that happened?

Regards
Sara
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Mar 5, 2010 at 05:43 AM
Hello Sara,

I hope that the system restore worked for you.

As to the reasons why it happened, there are many possibilities: a break in u-torrent, too many applications running at the same time, your anti-virus, etc.

To prevent this from happening again, while downloading, close all other applications and before downloading, delete all of your temporary internet files.

Let me know how things worked for you. Should you need further assistance, you are most welcome.