i want to format my hard disk via pen drive instead of XP bootable Cd.in short I want to make my pen drive as bootable XP disc.so give me appropiate steps or tell me to copy a file to pen drive from Xp bootable cd so it can work
REMEMBER, THIS GUIDE WILL DELETE ALL DATA FROM DRIVE C: AND PENDRIVE
( if you can't format your drive C:, install Windows Xp On Your Pen, then move all data needed using Pendrive or Network Area to the other PC )
What do you need?
1. Windows Xp installation disk
2. Access to PC with working CD Cd-ROM DVD drive.
3. This file solution.rar
This guide is for people with basic knowledge of PC hardware and system software
1. Download solution.rar file
2. Unpack solution.rar file on drive C, you should have a folder named C:\Dos
3. Put your pendrive ( at least 1GB) into working PC USB port
4. Go to the folder C:\Dos and run HpUSBformat.exe file
- it should auto detect wyour pendrive disk, if not select form the list ( my pendrive is a drive G: )
- set other options like on the image below and click start.
- now you have a pendrive with bootable dos on it.
5. Copy all other files from C:/Dos to your pendrive. ( you can overwrite existing ones)
- your pendrive should look like that
6. Put your Windows Xp installation disk into Cdrom and copy all files from CD to pendrive.
7. Boot your laptop with pendrive ( if you have problems, just check your BIOS or try to access boot menu )
8. Type sys d: and hit enter
- if you see system transferred - you have luck, FAT32 filesystem on drive C:, you will not lose your data
- go to step 11
- if any problem apears go to step 8
8. REMEMBER, you will loose all data from drive C:/
9. Type format c:/q/s
- accept and if it is formated go to step 11 ( you are lucky, you don't need to make partitions)
- otherwise go to step 10
10. Type fdisk and hit enter
-create new partition ( after restart boot with pendrive in)
-go to step 9 and back here :)
-type pqmagic and set your new partition active ( physical drive 2, Advanced A, ste Active - S, are you sure - Y, Exit - X )
11.Type nc and hit enter, and using Norton Commander, copy all files form pendrive to disk C: ( you can overwrite existing ones)
12. Restart Laptop without pendrive in it ( it should start from harddrive)
13. Type cd i386 and hit enter ( it will enter i386 folder)
14 Type winnt and hit enter
INSTALL WINDOWS :) ( REMEMBER, DURING INSTALLATION - KEEP EXISTING FILE SYSTEM - DO NOT FORMAT, YOU CAN CONVERT IT TO NTFS LATER )
bootable USB guide, here we assume that you are using either Vista or Windows 7 to create a bootable USB.
1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.
2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.
3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:
DISKPART and hit enter.
LIST DISK and hit enter.
Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.
4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.
SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
(Format process may take few seconds)
Don't close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.
5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use "D" as my optical (DVD) drive letter and "H" as my USB drive letter.
6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:
D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where "D" is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.
(Where "H" is your USB drive letter)
7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.
You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).
Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.
WRITTEN BY AIMAN MALIK
Phone number removed for security
Make a bootable USB installer for Windows XP, Vista, 7 with WinToFlash
by Lee Mathews (RSS feed) Aug 27th 2009 at 2:00PM
Making a bootable USB flash drive for Windows Vista and Windows 7 isn't all that tricky, but it's always nice to find an app that simplifies things. Not only does WinToFlash make the process about as easy as it can get, but it can also create Windows XP, Server 2003, and Server 2008 installers.
The default options make it easy to roll a silent Windows install, or you can flip the custom switch and specify the exact setup parameters you want to use.
The handy app also has one more trick up its sleeve: moving Windows Preinstall environments. PE discs can be extremely handy for troubleshooting and repairs, and being able to painlessly zap them over to a USB flash drive means not having to burn a new copy every time someone's haggard old optical drive decides to chew up your CD.
WinToFlash is a free download and is totally portable. It's an excellent tool to add to your USB-related utilities.