Monitor not turning on

Closed
livinginiraqw00t Posts 3 Registration date Saturday March 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 16, 2010 - Mar 13, 2010 at 08:51 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Apr 3, 2010 at 09:24 AM
Hello,
My monitor this morning was not responding to my computer this morning(worked fine last night). Getting power, but monitor doesn't pick up any signal. I tried the monitor on another computer and it works, ruled that out. Next I though maybe video cards(2 x nvidia 8600 gts SLI-ready), but the only other computer in the house is a pre built comp from HP bought from best buy.
Experiment with other comp:
It has an onboard video cardIt had 1 PCI-E port(one of my vid cards fit so I'm assuming its a PCI-E port), but the PSU doesn't have a power connector for PCI-E, but the vid card seems to turn on even without it(mobo power runs it?) cause the fans turn on. Turned on the comp and nothing, no signal. Does the video card need to have a direct power supply from the PSU in order to run properly, or is just running off the mobo enough for it? I made a guess that since the PSU didn't have a PCI-E cable for the vid card, it wasn't working properly. I tried it for both video card, and no signal. Just bought these like 2 years ago!
Another assumption:
I've read that the motherboard could also be an issue with the monitor not having an signal. I have an ASUS M2N-SLI wireless edition motherboard. I keep hearing about beep codes, and haven't paid attention to my computer beeping until now(of course). I've read that the M2N-SLI does have beep codes. So what I did was remove the RAM and vid cards(CPU stayed in), and turned it on and it just shut off after like 2 secs, and I guess it sort of beeped... but could be just everything shutting off instantly. The light on the motherboard is still lit, and I replaced the battery, but still no signal.
My CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 3200+ Socket AM2
My motherboard and CPU are old, and I can understand them breaking down after like 5-6 years. What could be the problem? Video cards or motherboard? Please let me know if you need some more description on certain areas.
Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM
I'm hedging towards your mobo not looking healthy. even with no memory and graphics card fitted it will still fire up. there should be a post beep telling you no memory/graphics card fitted.

Also, have you tried another PSU with this machine ?

if you connect a known good psu and it still does the same then you can assume the mobo is not a happy teddy.
livinginiraqw00t Posts 3 Registration date Saturday March 13, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 16, 2010
Mar 16, 2010 at 03:30 AM
The PSU is pretty new, but I won't single that factor out yet. Corsair 650, but I will try it on the other computer. Don't know if this helps, but recently, like in the past few months, when I play games for a prolonged period of time, the graphics would just go kaput and turn into blocks and stuff. Either that or freeze and only the music plays, and I gotta quit the program. Could a faulty/dying motherboard contribute to this, or would that be strictly graphics(vid cards)? Or are both of them dead!? That would suck =P
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Apr 3, 2010 at 09:24 AM
try un - installing your graphics card and reinstalling, preferably with the latest drivers.

Is your card sufficient for the games in question. try lowering the settings on the card to see if that helps