AVG with Windows Millenium?

Solved/Closed
jesperaudi Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 16, 2010 - Mar 16, 2010 at 07:19 AM
 jesper - Apr 24, 2010 at 04:55 PM
Hello,
I've an old laptop which runs on Windows Millenium.

I have just found a use for it again, but on turning it on its asking me to update my free AVG (it was previously 7.5) as it will no longer updates my virus definitions.

I can't install AVG 9.0 as it only goes back to Windows 2000 ( I think).

Is there anywhere I could find an update for AVG 8.5 if that would help, or update my virus definitions or find another free virus checker that I can run.

Alternatively are there any files I could d/l to make my Millenium acceptable to AVG 9. When I attempt to install AVG 9 it tells me

"the stub.exe file is linked to missing export KERNEL32DLL:GetComputerNameExW" and then a set up extractor boix appears saying "a device to the system is not functioning"

Thanks, Jesper
Related:

1 response

I have the same issue:

For AV, get avast home free v.4.8 from avast.com (only), and also download the definitions from there; make sure you get the definitions for the 4.8 version - you may have to click around to find the download for it. This version will also still update (I do it manually, but probably also works autom). The newer version 5 works on XP etc., probably has the same definitions, but they don't install to Me.

Once avast will no longer support Me, I have clamwin and will scan regularly (manually).

For spyware, get Spybot S&D fom anywhere (filehippo.com, majorgeeks.com, softpedia.com - all excellent and will keep you busy looking around).
Hi ed
Thanks very much; I will do that!!
Cheers
Jesper