Modem problem

Closed
lolo - Oct 11, 2008 at 07:25 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Hello, the problem i have that when i leave the modem on (connect) and try to turn off my computer the computer restart by itself even if i try to turn it off i cant unless i disconnect from internet by the way i have edsl modem for my internet

thank u for ur help

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2008 at 07:48 PM
You might have a problem with Wake-on-Lan - I would call your internet provider and see if the DSL modem is using this feature to restart the computer. You might also turn off WoL within the BIOS.

With modern computers, even when they are switched off, the Network Interface Card (NIC) is still powered (you can test this by looking to see if the green light next to the RJ45 Ethernet port is still lit when the computer is off). This means the NIC can still sense and process network traffic, although it does not have an IP associated with it in this off state. WoL works by broadcasting a specially formatted Magic Packet to all computers in the subnet. This Magic Packet includes the MAC address of the target PC repeated 16 times in the data section. The target PC receives this broadcast packet and when the NIC identifies it as a WoL packet and the MAC address is a match the boot procedure is initiated via the appropriate hardware channels.
what do u mean by WOL bios can i solve my problem without calling mu internet supplier
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2008 at 10:32 PM
No you can't - not if you don't know what a BIOS is.