HP Pavilion issue, screen goes black @ angle

Closed
Manowar13 - Apr 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM
 gatorlion - May 26, 2010 at 02:38 PM
When I have my laptop opened to 70 degree angle or less, the display is normal. however, when I open it past this point, it will all go almost completely black (due to the lighting of my external "HP" light that shines through the cover of the monitor, I can still see the outline of things that would normally be displayed), and if I return to the less than 70 degree position, it will come right back. geek squad says lcd inverter issue, 200 bucks minimum. i bought this thing for 700, it's barely over a year old and warranty's out. what do i do!

Related:

3 responses

I recently just had this happen to my HP Pavillion dv9000. The laptop is just over two years old which i barely used by the way. Computer boots up fine but you have to have the monitor in a certain angle ( tilited ) to get the screen to show. I read many blogs on what the problem was.. some said the motherboard, some said ram, some said the display... well i took the laptop apart and found it was the video cable.. for the hp pavilion dv9000 series.. it is 17" video cable: FOXDD0AT9LC0011A.. After you open it up, you see the cable runs through the hinge. Due to bad engineering, opening and closing the screen causes the cable to be crushed and the wires inside the cable become disconnected ( broken ). The reason it works at a tilted angle is that the cable is being squeezed by the hinge which applies pressure in the right place to allow the wires to touch... givening you your image. If you take your laptop apart, you can squeeze(jiggle ) the wire around and you see the picture come back to the screen. I tried multiple way to rig the wire to keep the connection, but in the end just didnt cut it.. I called HP and said they can do nothing since my computer was just over two years old and out of the one year warranty.. (if bought with some credit cards may extend to two year warranty). Eventhough I said the problem orginated from a design flaw, they suggested i got through a third party website.. they referred me to two iffy websites from China, cheap parts, but many people said they never receive the product or the product is DOA from reviews. But I found on on ebay for $30.. but also seen them seeling for $65 or more... hope this helps.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 6, 2010 at 03:57 PM
This sounds like a problem with the ribbon cable that connects the motherboard to the screen. I suggest you take the laptop to a qualified repair shop and have them replace the cable.

Good Luck
mousytom Posts 15 Registration date Tuesday April 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 7, 2010 26
Apr 6, 2010 at 04:16 PM
what i would think was happening would be as you open the screen past 70 degrees the ribbon cable from the screen to the motherboard is being pulled and possibly slightly unplugging itself, as simple as it may sound DO NOT try fixing this at home, take it in to professionals to look at