Automatic file rename when copied

Closed
azoutlawzpv - Oct 16, 2008 at 01:09 PM
crs_soft Posts 3 Registration date Monday October 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2009 - Oct 13, 2009 at 02:11 AM
Hello,

I need to copy a file to a different folder but copy it with a timestamp added to the filename.

I currently have a schedule that copies a file to a different folder but I need to retain other files already copied
and not overwrite them.

Thank You
Patrick
Related:

5 responses

I use RenameMaster (freeware) with Windows Scheduler (free with MS Windows). Use the RenameMaster GUI to setup your file renaming/appending/moving operation then save it as a script file. RenameMaster will move a file(s) if you Add the destination folder naming convention to the file(s). Then use Windows Scheduler to run RenameMaster.exe <-switch> <script name> as necessary. The following is an excerpt from the online Help for RenameMaster:

Rename Master supports 2 command line options. The syntax is as follows:
RenameMaster.exe "drive:\fullpath\"
RenameMaster.exe -s script.rm
RenameMaster.exe -xi script.rm
RenameMaster.exe -xu script.rm

The first example will start RM working in the given folder. The second example will automatically load a script. The third will execute with no user interactive, ignoring erros. The forth will execute and undo changes if an error occurs. NOTE: The script must residein the same folder that RM is located.

Hope this helps...
rk51502 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2008 1
Dec 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM
Hi Patrick,

I am also having the same problem. Did you got some way to move file from one windows system to another windows system and renaming it while moving or copying.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rakesh
Piky suit does that.... But its SHAREWARE :'(
MatthieuSBTJ Posts 53 Registration date Friday February 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2010
Jan 30, 2009 at 05:01 PM
Hé i'm totaly wrong afterall..... Seems like they forgot to include the renamer in the package :S Its wierd koz on the website of piki tools, they shows screenshots of that renaming procedure in action... but all I got with the installer (demo) is a stupid basket XD

Yeah so if anyone knows a nice tool that integrates the dialog box that appears when tryin to copy a file with same-name in a folder, adding "rename" to it.... and even, highlighting the rename button automaticaly for speed purposes... That'd be great :P

Thanx :P

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
crs_soft Posts 3 Registration date Monday October 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2009
Oct 13, 2009 at 02:11 AM
you can download shareware tools from http://www.developerschoice.0fees.net/