Desktop & laptop internet connection?

Closed
BooBear - Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM
wires and plugs Posts 51 Registration date Monday January 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2010 - Apr 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Ok, I have an old desktop that more than likely doesn't have wireless capabilities and I now have purchased a laptop and I want to know how I can set up the router to use wireless and at the same time still have my desktop connected to the internet. I know how to set up a router but I just don;t know how or what I need to do to still have internet connection on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

1 response

wires and plugs Posts 51 Registration date Monday January 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 24, 2010 10
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Well your router should have one plug labeled for the internet that connects to your modem, and IF it has switch capabilities than it should have 4 additional plugs for computers to connect to. Leave the configuration as it is and go into the routers user interface and set up the wireless settings, security and what not, You can change your SSID to something personal such as "BobsNetwork" or something check the enable broadcast checkbox and then search for your network via the laptop setup auto connect and be sure your router is setup to "Auto DHCP" then the router will assign your laptop it's own connection IP address.