My external hard drive is dead...

Closed
JonnoBo - Apr 9, 2010 at 04:16 PM
 JonnoBo - Apr 10, 2010 at 07:51 PM
I recently bought myself a Samsung 1TB external hard drive and spend a good few hours filling it with data. Later, I plugged the drive in (which created a spark at the plug, which I'm guessing in turn shorted the hard drive and wiped out its MBR).
Now my computer can't read the drive (asking to format it) but I can access the files through recovery software. Problem is IT'S GOING TO TAKE ME FOR-FREAKING-EVER TO GET THAT DONE! Isn't there software that can recover the MBR (if that's actually the problem) so I don't have to format and lose the data, and not recover each file individually and lose my mind! I just want my HD to run like it did before!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Related:

2 responses

you could use dos based programs that boot from a cd or whatever (most partition software provide such means ,you could google them) to place the data from the external hard drive to another hard drive or other medium and format the broken drive or you could recover the partition with software not each individual file i think that could be best done with thesoftware provided by the maker of the drive which in this case seems to be samsung.

good luck
thanks qwqw qwqw. after thinking the problem through a little i managed to fix it by running the dos command:

chkdsk /f [drive letter]:

this was the simplest method (without needing to download additional software) that i could think of, and it worked a treat. it fixed the bitmap image of the drive and sorted out filing system.

thanks for the advice though. much appreciated!