No sound on my laptop

Closed
Wolfie - Oct 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM
davemanningham Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday October 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 29, 2008 - Oct 29, 2008 at 05:00 PM
Hello, The audio on my Acer Travelmate 2420 laptop, which is using Windows XP Professional, stopped working after I upgraded to Windows Media Player 11. I wrote to this forum asking for advice and was told to uninstall, then reinstall my sound card. I went to device manager and uninstalled MultiMedia Audio Controller, which was the only thing in there that mentioned audio. I then went to the Acer website, as instructed, and reinstalled it. However, it still didn't work.

I then went to the Hardware Update Wizard thinking I may need an update but it came back, 'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'. It says that, if I have the disc, I should use that, but I don't have it.

When I look in 'Sound, video and game controllers', it tells me that all is working normally.

Can anyone tell me what steps I can take to resolve this problem please?

Thanks

3 responses

yahooz Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday October 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 16, 2009 4
Oct 29, 2008 at 08:01 AM
hey there,

here is a link where you will be able to download the driver for free:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

just try to download your sound driver from there and then see what happens
davemanningham Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday October 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 29, 2008
Oct 29, 2008 at 09:16 AM
Hi, I should have mentioned that I was advised to try that before and have tried several times but it still does not work. I uninstalled, then reinstalled it around 4-5 times with no improvement.

I was concerned that perhaps someone had taken my sound card out of the laptop but have been told that it's integrated into the system and therefore cannot be removed, therefore, it's gotta be something else. Any ideas? It's very annoying! lol
davemanningham Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday October 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 29, 2008
Oct 29, 2008 at 05:00 PM
Ok, I feel like I've tried everything so if anyone can tell me to do something I haven't already done it'd be much appreciated.

I have an Acer travelmate 2420 laptop.

Upgraded to Windows XP Professional and put Windows Media Player 11 onto my laptop.After this there was no sound on my computer.

I was told to go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, then to uninstall my sound device and reinstall it from the website I was advised to go to. I uninstalled the Multimedia Audio Controller, then reinstalled it. This didn't fix the problem.

I then went to Sound, Video and Game Controllers...checked the Legacy Audio Driver, as well as all the other drivers, and it came up that they were working properly.

Can anyone help, give me advice on how to fix it myself, or tell me where I can take my laptop to get it fixed? Cheers