.exe won't work unless 'run as administrator' [Closed]

-
 Blocked Profile -
To clarify, this is my mother's PC. She doesn't have a clue what she's done to trigger this and asking her is pointless. Since yesterday her PC has refused to run ANY program unless run as administrator. If a program isn't run as administrator it displays "...exe is not a valid Win32 application". This includes Internet explorer, windows media player,
windows office etc. Not a single shortcut works, they all claim to be disjointed.

If I attempt to open a document or music file that does (most of the time) work.

I've run my antivirus and though it found some things it didn't solve the problem.

Restarting doesn't help.

My mom needs this PC for her work and she's getting kind of desperate. :-(

Can someone please tell me what is wrong?

Related:

2 replies

Registration date
Friday May 15, 2009
Status
Last seen
October 7, 2010
Hi there,

Some applications needs to be run as administrator to be able to use them .

Thanks
Yes, that's true. However, up until very recently that wasn't the case with ALL OF THE PROGRAMS on the computer. Besides, it doesn't explain why I can't use a single program on menu start (even when run as administrator).

All shortcuts in Windows since Vista have a special property that you can set that will allow the application to run as Administrator. This works perfectly for creating a batch file to restart a service, for instance.

To set this property, just right-click on any shortcut, and click the Advanced button on the Shortcut page to get to the Advanced Properties dialog.

You'll see a dialog with a checkbox for "Run as administrator".

From now on, the application will always run as administrator if you use the shortcut to launch it. (You'll be prompted by UAC if you have it enabled).

I believe now you will get the solution.