After Windows updates, can't start computer!

Solved/Closed
Jianna - Updated on Nov 12, 2018 at 12:41 AM
 matthew cannon - Aug 28, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to state I really don't know too much about computers. I know a little but I really don't know all the names/fuctions/etc. and I'm going to try and make this say exactly what my computer is doing but I may have a few of the words jumbled because my computer is at home being stupid and I'm at work trying to earn money to buy a new one. :p

Anyway, last night my computer automatically restarted itself in order for my latest set of Windows updates to take affect. After it restarted, it came up with the usual screen that states it is installing the updates, Step 1 of 3 and then the percentage of it being complete. After completing the first and sometimes the second step, my computer will suddenly restart again and then the screen with state "Loading Files" and then come up with a screen that says Windows could not start and that it is scanning the files to repair. After doing this for several minutes it tells me that it must restart and to click "Finish" to restart. I do so and my computer restarts and then loops right back to the Installing Updates screen and once again, after completing Step 1 or Step 2 it restarts and goes to the Loading Files screen and then to the Windows cannot start and the the repair scan. It looped like this all night long and then again was doing it this morning when I left for work.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Opearating System: Windows Vista

Also, I don't really know how to do a System Restore and am concerned I will loose all my files. I also don't have a backup, though most of what is on my hard drive is music (all gotten in the legal way though a complete pain to import).
Related:

113 responses

If you live in London, They are the fastest and offers resonable price.

http://www123fixmypc.co.uk

you can also email them for a quick advice.
Hi,
First of all I want to say If you have important data on your harddrive, (photos, documents, passwords list etc) and at the same time you dont know too much about computers and windows system it is better to call professional pc engineer
http://www.123fixmypc.co.uk or another comapny
Why? because you can completely rewrite your harddrive by mistake and yo may loose all your data.
now DIY: ;-)

if your vista has recovery console enabled
switch off your computer.
then ,switch it on

press f8 few times BEFORE windows logo appears.
you will see
I installed updates yesterday and since then my laptop can't start up at all- all I am getting is a blank screen. It is 13 months old, so just out of warranty, and I really don't know what to do. Can't get into safemode or anything because screen is totally blank.
Whatever you do - do not follow the MS advice of altering which services fire on Startup. I did this and now my PC is really and truely stuffed. I could open in Safe mode, but now I don't even get the option.
What I have noticed though, is that while the machine looks idle - black screen of truth (Microsoft you suck) - the router is going crazy.
Seems to me MS have put an infinte loop into the patch.
By the way - I did do a system restore to 14th June, but this didn't help me at all.
I think my only hope is to create a boot disk on another machine, start the PC and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
hello verry body,,plzz to tell me,,,,,,,,,,my computer can not open,,,,,how can I do...plz to tell me.
Same problem as all of you I had to restore my system to and earlier point and it helped but when I download this update I get the same bullshit again computer does not start after the loading screen and even if I repair the system it never loads so the best thing to do is to go back to an earlier point when my pc was working and I did that manually. but can Microsoft please tell me how to get this update without fucking up my pc?
hi every one here is the conversation I had with hp that help me fix the issue hope it helps some one out . :)

eric negrete : while updating windows was shut down now one device is powered on it loops from blue update screen dispalaying update 3 of 3 at 0% and keep restarting
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Simon A .]
Simon A : Welcome to HP Total Care. My name is Simon. Please give me a few moments while I review your problem description details.

NOTE: For security reasons, PLEASE DO NOT send credit card information via chat.

Simon A : Hello Eric.
Simon A : How are you?
eric negrete : hi fine thanks
Simon A : Glad to hear that.
Simon A : I understand that the Computer restarts itself automatically showing the Windows update screen, am I correct?
eric negrete : yes it start to the update creen stays on for a few minutes and restarts and continies to do the same
eric negrete : its that something we can fix
Simon A : I see.
Simon A : Eric, we will work together to isolate the issue.
Simon A : Is the computer beside you right now?
eric negrete : yes
Simon A : Alright.
Simon A : Eric, the issue seems to be with the corrupted Operating System files.
Simon A : In this case we will repair the Operating System and check.
Simon A : Restart the Notebook and tap the F11 key repeatedly and let me know the options that you see on the screen.
eric negrete : k give me a min
eric negrete : I heard a beep then a status bar displlaying window loading files
eric negrete : now it whent to a blue screen
Simon A : Did you tap the F11 key repeatdly after restarting the Computer?
Simon A : *repeatedly
eric negrete : k the recovery manager screen came up the options are advance options next and cancel
Simon A : Select Advanced Options.
Simon A : Do you see the Startup Repair as one of the option?
eric negrete : no
eric negrete : I see computer chuck up microsoft system restore file back up program system recovery
Simon A : okay.
Simon A : Exit the Recovery Manager.
Simon A : Now we will look for Startup Repair in Advanced Boot Options.
eric negrete : ok done
Simon A : Restart the Computer and tap the F8 key repeatedly.
eric negrete : k I see
eric negrete : repair your computer- safemode-enable boot logging- last known good configuration-directory system restore-debugging -disable automatic restart on system failure- disable driver signature enforcemernt
Simon A : Select Repair your Computer option and proceed.
eric negrete : loading files
Simon A : Okay.
eric negrete : ok system recovery options came up it gives me an option to select keyboard layout then next or cancel
Simon A : Select the keyboard layout and proceed with the onscreen instructions.
eric negrete : k
eric negrete : now it gives me start up repair---------system recovery--windows complete pc restore--memory diagnostic tool---comand prompt recovery manager
Simon A : Select Startup Repair option.
eric negrete : start up repair could not detect a problem--then it tells me to remove any recently installed devices wich I have non it gives me option to finish or cancel
Simon A : Click on Finish.
eric negrete : ok back on system recovery option screen
Simon A : Exit the System Recovery and check if your computer boots into Windows.
eric negrete : ok
Simon A : Keep me informed on the latest status.
Simon A : IF this does not work, we will try System Restore.
eric negrete : ok its loading ill let u lnow when its up
eric negrete : nope again on bleu update creen
eric negrete : :(
Simon A : Is there any error message on the screen?
eric negrete : no it just said windows update stage 3 of 3 0% but it restarted again
Simon A : We will try System Restore and check.
eric negrete : ok
Simon A : Again restart the computer and tap the F11 key.
eric negrete : k
eric negrete : still loading
Simon A : Okay.
Simon A : Click on Advanced Options and select Microsoft System Restore.
eric negrete : ok recovery manager advance opts---next or canel
eric negrete : ok done
Simon A : Select the recent restore point and restore it.
eric negrete : waiting for it im at a blank blue screen
eric negrete : stll at the blank blue screen
eric negrete : ok its restoring ill let you know once it's done
Simon A : Did you select the recent restore point ?
eric negrete : yes
Simon A : Is it restoring?
eric negrete : yes till waiting for it to finish
eric negrete : restore completed sucessfully should I restart
Simon A : Yes, please go ahead.
Simon A : Eric, this should fix the issue.
eric negrete : k as soon as it restarts I will let u know

it worked for me hope it helps
Vista generally sucks and microsoft does crap to automatically break your computer. I've seen it happen a lot.
I have he same problem ... I get into Safe mode every 4th attempt ... I finally got into Safe mode with networking ... so I'm backing up key files to another computer. I'm gonna try that boot disk option - but I fear all my system restore points got trashed somehow - I've tried so many options and nothing has worked. I hope some Microsoft developers are surfing this site - cuz this latest round of updates was a load of bull dung.
help me please
Help me if you can... My PC is a Dell 'Dimention E520' runnig Windows XP Home Edition. My son recenttly installed Sims 3 and before that it worked fine. Well, I mean after it got that virus and boke. New hard drive and more RAM and it worked like a dream. Now if I try to turn the machine on it gets to a screen saying:
WINDOWS DIDNT START SUCCESSFULLY. A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MAY HAVE CAUSED THIS. IF YOUR PC STOPPED RESPONDING RESTARTED UNEXPECTANTLY OR AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT YOUR FILES.
It then come up with the options: SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT, LAST KNOW OOD CONFIGURATION & START WINDOWS NORMALLY.

Well, what do I do? Any help appreciated.
i also got the same problem.... it always go back from scanning and repairing the startup process...
can I run windows service pack 3 on a windows 7 computer