After Windows updates, can't start computer!

Solved/Closed
Jianna - Updated on Nov 12, 2018 at 12:41 AM
 matthew cannon - Aug 28, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Hello everyone,

First of all, I want to state I really don't know too much about computers. I know a little but I really don't know all the names/fuctions/etc. and I'm going to try and make this say exactly what my computer is doing but I may have a few of the words jumbled because my computer is at home being stupid and I'm at work trying to earn money to buy a new one. :p

Anyway, last night my computer automatically restarted itself in order for my latest set of Windows updates to take affect. After it restarted, it came up with the usual screen that states it is installing the updates, Step 1 of 3 and then the percentage of it being complete. After completing the first and sometimes the second step, my computer will suddenly restart again and then the screen with state "Loading Files" and then come up with a screen that says Windows could not start and that it is scanning the files to repair. After doing this for several minutes it tells me that it must restart and to click "Finish" to restart. I do so and my computer restarts and then loops right back to the Installing Updates screen and once again, after completing Step 1 or Step 2 it restarts and goes to the Loading Files screen and then to the Windows cannot start and the the repair scan. It looped like this all night long and then again was doing it this morning when I left for work.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Opearating System: Windows Vista

Also, I don't really know how to do a System Restore and am concerned I will loose all my files. I also don't have a backup, though most of what is on my hard drive is music (all gotten in the legal way though a complete pain to import).
Related:

113 responses

Ok,
this is the solution that I used to resolve the "Configuring Updates Step 3 of 3 � 0% Complete" infinite reboot cycle:

(Preface: you need a "live cd" too boot into an environment from which you may delete or rename the "pending.xml" file, to do this, I used the free and open source Ubuntu Linux distribution.)

Step-by-step:

1) find a friend with a working computer, CD-Burner and blank CDROM. Visit the Ubuntu download site: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

2) download the desktop edition ISO
3) burn the ISO to disk (if you don't know how to do this do a bit of googling - it's beyond the scope of this fix)
4) once burnt, boot your broken Windows Vista computer, but use the appropriate key combination to change the boot settings to tell it to boot from the CDROM

5) the Ubuntu CD should offer you a language selector and then the option "Try Ubuntu without modifying your computer"

6) Ince Ubuntu has booted, go to the "Places" menu in the top menu bar.

7) Within the places menu, you'll see some "disk drives" listed, you should be able to guess which one might be the one that is your Windows Vista C Drive by it's size or name, e.g. "75.4GB disk" or "Presario" or "System" etc... it depends upon your computer.

8 ) Once you've figured out which one it is then click it (don't be scared to try each entry in turn)

9) a disk icon should then appear on the Ubuntu desktop that you can then double click and explore.

10) Confirm that it's the correct disk partition by looing for familiar folder names such as "Users", "Windows" etc.. (if not try one of the others as described in step 7)

11) navigate to the following folder: windows/winsxs

12) locate the file "pending.xml" and rename it by pressing F2 on your keyboard and editing the file name to something like "pending.xml.broken" perhaps.

13) restart the computer via the ubuntu System -> Quit... Restart options

14) remove the live cd when prompted.

15) let the machine boot up back into Windows Vista, it may go back to the "configuring updates" screen again - but don't panic - be patient. It should switch after a while to say "Welcome" and eventually take you to your normal Windows Vista desktop.

This worked for me, I hope it works for you too.
Good luck.
I have the same problem and I'm a pro at computers...

And what stupid is, even if we do a restore, we eventualy neeed to install updates and it will crash again. The only solution is, do a clean up, a defragmnetation, upgrade RAM, Backup your files, and install an new version of Windows...

But it is very long and expensive so, at least you have money, there is no issues

If you have questions, here is my e-mail : xavier_livres@yahoo.ca

Have a nice day!
I had the same problem, quite a difficult issue, on a toshiba with vista
No need to change the ram or anything, or even reboot with a cd though.
Simply:
1) turn off your computer manually
2) turn it back on
3) right away, press f8
4) a screen will appear with various options
5) choose the toshiba repair centre
6) choose the restore option
7) restore the computer to a time before the painful updates
8) let it restore, and then it will reboot
9) your computer should launch normally
10) disable the update system for vista
11) get rid of windows vista
Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue, I have Windows 7 on my laptop though. It installed some windows updates & after that it's not working. I am able to login & get the desktop screen, but after that nothing. It hangs up very soon after that & does not allow to do anything. Please help me in resolving the issue.

I am able to get it working in the Safe Mode.

Thanks in advance ...!
HERE IS THE FIX
M$ has a page dedicated to this problem--it is too long to reprint here because it covers every contingency. Here is that page:

"Article ID: 949358 -
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista and Windows 7"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/949358/failure-configuring-windows-updates-reverting-changes-error-when-you-t

Basically it tells you many steps in order to get back onto your desktop, and from there to remove the update either through System Restore or other steps. Once the update is removed, it is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the last steps, to prevent the problem from happening again:

How to avoid this problem
To avoid this problem, obtain and install update 937287 from the Microsoft Download Center separately from all other updates on the Windows Update site. Install the update that applies to your version of Windows Vista so that you can successfully install future updates.

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

I dont know if the download links at the bottom will work, if not, go to the bottom of the following link and click and install the download for either Vista x86 or X64
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/949358/failure-configuring-windows-updates-reverting-changes-error-when-you-t

Windows Vista x86-based systems
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5639710d-dfbf-4527-806e-9a1634d0cc8e&DisplayLang=en
Windows Vista x64-based systems
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=54235949-b5db-4fe2-a841-ef938217b285&DisplayLang=en

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
shut it down and upgrade the system card like AMD xp card
Hi Mike, I had the same problem the other night and my computer is dead as well. I didnt realize it was SP1 until this morning when I was thinking about what changes were made right before it crashed. Its really messed up and I dont know what to do.

David
For me, I system restore back to 4.15.10, and everything works fine. Windows did two CRITICAL UPDATES, one on 18th, one on 4.19 They seem to mess up my machine somehow. It will only open in safe mode. When I system restore to the 4.15 marker, it starts fine. This is a load of shit. How long will windows offer us "updates" that don't work? This reminds me of ServicePack2 XP all over again. Windows, you totally suck.
claired8 Posts 2 Registration date Friday April 23, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 23, 2010
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Hi, I got my windows vista business laptop for christmas 2007 and recently has not been installing the regular windows update. The update pops up on the home screen and I install it, after the instalation it asks me to restart my computer, when restarting it does the usual step 1 of 3 and a %, but the updates dont seem to be instaling and it comes up with a messasge saying "service pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn your computer off" So I left it for about 4 hours and it still said the same message! so I turned off my laptop by pressing the power button and when I switch it back on it appears with the same message and I cannot get onto my laptop! My laptop is on and is currently still displaying that message! Please help!
Do a Google search for ERD commander. This is guaranteed to get your computer up & running!
I have two pavilions and both with Vista. All this auto fix and update stuff just seems to make a confused mess. I too just downloaded the microsoft vista update and then had to restore my computer to a pre-update date. Do the tech people realize we do not enjoy doing this stuff? We regular users just want to use our computers and do not want to spend hours fooling around. The HPs overheat and damage their own harddrives (which will be kept when replaced - I managed to BUY mine back for the price of a new one - under my extended warrenty). I have spent days repairing computers - only to lose all my bundled pre-installed software - AND, I have a paper to finish for school. Downloaded another microsoft thing and then my version of gmail doesnt work. Brilliant. I love my I phone, will try a MAC next. More PC hardware garbage. If it seems too good to be true, it probaby is. Actually, the notebooks are now just a bundle of components sourced from the cheapest source that week. Not necessarily compatable.
Saem kamalian
May 5, 2010 at 08:20 PM
Thankssssssssssssss Very Much! U saved my friends Laptop!
reformat ur pc again change ur os
..solved!!!
hello jianna

if u wish to restore your system just follow this steps 1( go to Programs) step2(find Accessories) then step 3(go to system tools) then last go to system restore) gudluck.. hope I helped you ... bye
((((all updates..))) best to do is CANCEL all
I HOPE IT HELP
down loaded vista svc pak 1. When I went to install it, it got stuck on the registry portion of the download. Now, the laptop top wouldn't even go thru the full start up. Keeps saying unable to start. The startup repair is unable to solve the problem. Frustrating, frustrating. Any answers?
Trashed computer
May 9, 2010 at 11:57 PM
My computer crashed and froze while it was on the blue page, now it won't work, it simply says floppy error or smt to do with the floopy!!!! Anyways, I restarted it while it was on the blue page and the end! it is gone forever, help me!!!
I am not understanding how you can download a bootable restore onto a computert that will not turn on?
On mine what happens is, I turn it on and I a prompt asking me to:
Start with Safe mode
Start with Safe mode with Networking
Start with Safe mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows Normally

So far no matter what I do I can not get out of the configuring stages 3 of 3 0% loop. It just keeps getting to the screen where I can log on, but before I have a chance to do so it shuts back down. I have tried it in each option and I keep having the same issue... What do I do?

Edit: I turned on my computer and hit escape first thing, you have to do it fast cause you only have like a split second to do it. I was able to get to a system restore from that point. Its Initializing as I type from my work computer. I cant believe I havent tried this before, or even realized it was there. God, I hope this works
ps. you have to be REALLY patient, I was staring at a blue screen for like 10 mins and then I got to the system restore manager and then after I choose my option another 10 mins of blueeee and now Restoring Files.. hmmmm wish me luck
ok sooo I tried what the last post told me to do on my computer. as soon as you start it up push esc (i have an hp laptop). soo it went into system restore and gave me the option of a) restart and repair (recommended) or starting up normally so naturally I tried the repair one. its thinking right now...lets see if this works....oh and ps I do have that stupid system configuring bull**** too....

update:5 mins still thinking....

update:it asked me if I want to start up my computer using startup repair and I clicked yes

update: it says attempting repairs...

update: now its restarting itself...

update: restarting......

update: blank screen...

update: OMG IT WORKED!!!!! I just logged onto my page....its taking awhile but no more )% configurmnet shit! so far so good!
window 7 34 bit will not start it shows welcome can you help please
last week I had 3 updates to be installed, I installed them and my laptop is now messed right up. it takes over 5 hours to load and take me to my desktop then a few more hours to load the desktop and open up the internet or anything for that matter. I keep getting ''host process'' pop-up's, saying ''microsoft visual runtime C++ runtime library'' bla bla bla message, a ''form1'' pop-up that is ''not responding'', ''log in process failed to create the security options dialog'' pop-up, my task bar day by day is losing icons, my security/virus protection is no longer displayed and windows security alert is saying my security/virus protection is turned off and I go to turn it on but its already on but this stupid windows alert wont go away, i've restored my computer as far back as I can but it only gives me the option to restore it back to 2 weeks ago or something, doesnt help much.... ive uninstalled the ''roxio'' program that kept popping up alerts as well as other programs, ive cleaned and defraged my laptop..... ive become obsessed with trying to fix this with out taking it in but I seem to be making this worse...... I am very computer illiterate, as im sure you can all tell but I am hopeing someone can understand what im talking about and help me??!!??!!??........